By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - is Warcraft 3 worth getting?

makingmusic476 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nope. Stick with StarCraft. WC3 is like a cross between StarCraft and Diablo. You have to micromanage your regular RTS gaming with leveling up your hero, and teaching him spells and gaining him experience by having him fuck up neutral creatures on the map. Some people love it, and you might, but I love StarCraft and Diablo, but hate playing both at once.

I agree with this 100%.  The game emphasized the heroes a bit too much for my tastes.

I'd recommend getting Age of Mythology.  It came out around the same time WC3 did, and got similar reviews.  It's like Age of Empires II, but better all around and with a mythological background.  Even to this day it's one of my top three favorite RTSes along with the Battle for Middle-earth II and Supreme Commander.

You forget how cheap you can get the WC3 battlechest and the B.N. onine part is awesome with all the mods. Just DOTA is worth the purchaseas well as the tower defences.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

It has a really good campaign, one of the best story-wise.

You won't be disappointed.

Tower defense is for the 12 and under crowd. Buy it and play the actual game.

DOTA and Hero Wars are amazing.

Foshoryuken said:
Tower defense is for the 12 and under crowd. Buy it and play the actual game.

right... just saying that and looking at the success of PixelJunk Monsters and Tower Defense games throughout the web and games really makes that remark seem like you belong to the 12 and under crowd.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

It definitely is. The custom games made by users are on levels far better than StarCrafts and the regular game itself is very fun as well. It's a nice thing to play between StarCraft like if you alternate, good change of pace and makes sure you don't ever get bored.

PC Gamer
ssj12 said:

right... just saying that and looking at the success of PixelJunk Monsters and Tower Defense games throughout the web and games really makes that remark seem like you belong to the 12 and under crowd.

Ok?(lmao)

So TD games are very dear to your heart? My bad dude. Didn't mean to strike a nerve!

Absolutely, enjoyed this game very much. Never got around to the expansion though :(

ssj12 said:
makingmusic476 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nope. Stick with StarCraft. WC3 is like a cross between StarCraft and Diablo. You have to micromanage your regular RTS gaming with leveling up your hero, and teaching him spells and gaining him experience by having him fuck up neutral creatures on the map. Some people love it, and you might, but I love StarCraft and Diablo, but hate playing both at once.

I agree with this 100%.  The game emphasized the heroes a bit too much for my tastes.

I'd recommend getting Age of Mythology.  It came out around the same time WC3 did, and got similar reviews.  It's like Age of Empires II, but better all around and with a mythological background.  Even to this day it's one of my top three favorite RTSes along with the Battle for Middle-earth II and Supreme Commander.

You forget how cheap you can get the WC3 battlechest and the B.N. onine part is awesome with all the mods. Just DOTA is worth the purchaseas well as the tower defences.

AoM and the expansion are $20 total, and the AoM editor is quite versatile as well.  I loved playingTower Defense, Mythodea, and Cat and Mouse online.  Some really awesome games were created using that editor, as well as all the stupid RPGs that plagued the WC3 online community also.

I enjoyed the heroes aspect of the game. For me, Warcraft 3 was the best RTS I've ever played after the original Age of Empires.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS