By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NHL: 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

Spire_VII said:

The Blackhawk's signed Goalie Huet -

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242185&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_nhl

terms of the deal weren't announced

Don't they still have Khabibulin? Interesting.

The Canucks just offered a huge contract to Mats Sundin...........2yrs/20M........and signed RFA David Backes to a 3yr/7.5M contract.......St. Louis has 7 days to match, or they get a 2nd round pick. I hope Sundin signs here.......even though it is very expensive......we have a lot of cap space at the moment, and 16/17 players signed.

Around the Network

Kolzig to the Bolts, 1 yr/1.5M..........just saw that now. Good signing, he can tutor Smith, and play a huge role if Smith collapses.

Damn, St. Louis matches for Backes.

Spire, what's your feelings about Campbell, and the signing?

And so my depression begins - Brian Campbell signed an 8 year deal worth 56.8 million with the Chicago Blackhawks. There goes our best puck-moving defense player (and having cost us Steve Bernier & 1st rounder draft pick for this year). Also Patrick Pissmiller is gone also having signed a contract with the Rangers.

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

The Pens signed Eric Godard from Calgary, which means Georges Laraque is gone. He's even less skilled than Laraque and not as tough, but he's a bit faster, meaner, and he likely came cheaper than Laraque would have. I'm okay with it. It's not flashy, but it will do.

There's also a crazy rumor that they offered Jagr a contract. It would be pretty cool to see him back in black and goldand skating on Sid's wing, since Hossa is all but gone.

Around the Network
Desroko said:

The Pens signed Eric Godard from Calgary, which means Georges Laraque is gone. He's even less skilled than Laraque and not as tough, but he's a bit faster, meaner, and he likely came cheaper than Laraque would have. I'm okay with it. It's not flashy, but it will do.

There's also a crazy rumor that they offered Jagr a contract. It would be pretty cool to see him back in black and goldand skating on Sid's wing, since Hossa is all but gone.

That'd be cool if Jagr went back........Mario and Jagr played together at the beginning of Jagr's career, and he could play with Sid at the end of his career.

The big news for today so far

Red Wings Sign Marian Hossa to a 1 year contract worth 7.45 million -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/02/hossa.redwings/index.html?eref=si_hockey

Dallas Stars sign Sean Avery for 4 years worth 15.5 million -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hockey/nhl/07/02/bc.hkn.stars.avery.ap/index.html?eref=si_hockey

Looks like the Sharks will be seeing a lot more of Sean Avery for the next four years.

That Was Left-Handed

Pittsburgh signs Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko to one-year deals. I like it for no other reason than it screws the Islanders.

Kidding. I don't know much about Fedotenko, but Satan is a guy I like (sic). He's been pretty productive for a guy who's always played for offensively-challenged teams with terrible centers, which won't be a problem for him as a Penguin. Next year's forward UFA class is a bit deeper, so next summer we can cut one or both loose and use the money on someone better, as well as locking up Jordan Staal.

Sharks picked up Rob Blake (D) from the L.A Kings for a 1yr contract worth $5 million. The Sharks are also rumored to be in the running for picking up Dan Boyle from the Tamba Bay Lighting.

That Was Left-Handed

Markus Naslund's heading to broadway next season.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/07/03/naslund-nyr.html?ref=rss

New York Rangers pick up Canuck's captain with a 2/yr 8 million deal. What sucks about this is that Vancouver got jack in exchange for Naslund, which really leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I mean, when your all-time leading point getter and captain doesn't even get a contract offer from the 'Nucks, something is amiss. 

I doubt Matts would want to head here anytime soon. Rebuilding FTW!

PS: As well, Jagr signs a deal back in Russia, not sure of details.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"