By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New WD Raptor 20,000 rpm in development

They seem to think SSD hard drives will be 'more affordable' in the next 12-18 months.  Lets hope so!

I'm fed up with slow 7k drives (they have been around for years!) and rip off Raptor drives with little improvement but more noise!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/06/06/western-digital-working-on-20-000-rpm-raptor/1

Around the Network

hmm.. ok, but I hope they have the same lifespan as a slow spinning drive .. I hate HDDs that die after 1-2 years

20k rpm? damn, that's pretty fast. 

7k drives aren't too bad. Especially with the large capacity sizes. I've been using 15k rpm (scsi) drives(2x74gb + 1x36gb Maxtor Atlas 15K III) alongside my larger 7k sata drives for awhile now. Been working pretty good, I just have my XP install on one of the 15k drives and use the other 15k drives for program installs/games, etc. My larger SATA drives are mainly for storage/downloads/mp3's etc.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I appreciate the extra capacity and for storage/general access 7k is fine. I use Raid 0 for my operating system, not sure how much quicker or better my windows bootup/game loading performance is but its not enough.

The lack of development for speed has really annoyed me for years now.

@Lafiel : With no moving parts there not not much to go wrong, less heat, zero noise!

Current problem with Solid State is cost and write performance is not great.

SSDs are definitely the way to go. However, it's going to take an overhaul of current system architecture to really tap the potential of them. Theoretically, an SSD should be able to perform as quickly as RAM. System boots and software launches should take less time than it takes for your system to POST.

Around the Network

With the current heat and noise issies the 10k Raptors have, how are they gonna pull off 2k Raptors?

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.