By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question about Linux on the PS3

Well here's my situation I got all that stuff needed to put linux on my PS3, I got Yellow Dog 6.0 on a disk now and everything is set up for it to run on the PS3, but my keyboard didn't work on it so I just bought another one on ebay so I have to wait.

ANYWAY I've been looking it up and people are saying that's it's really not that great at all. I've seen the pros and cons about it from a website and it seems pretty useless. So for anyone who has it do you think it's worth giving up the 10 GB for it, can you do just as much stuff on it then what you can do on Windows XP?

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Around the Network

I would use Ubuntu or Kubuntu (its KDE fork). The former is the top distro right now.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3

Well Ubuntu is definitely smaller then Yellow dog with disk space, but what's the difference between the two, are they pretty much the same? If so I'm definitely downloading it.

End of 08' Sales

It is basically a Windows friendly distro. I am a Linux noob, but I am a computer expert and I use its Kubuntu fork in a dual boot with Vista. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system) for more info. I would recommend it and the previous link in my above post contains install distros and help docs specifically for the PS3. Good luck!

no its not. I have yellow dog on my ps3. I have a 120gb HDD so 10gb really didnt matter to me but to be serious i used it once. It take like 7 minutes to load up. I rather just walk across the room and use my pc. This is just what i think though.

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Around the Network
Ps3_GOW said:
Well Ubuntu is definitely smaller then Yellow dog with disk space, but what's the difference between the two, are they pretty much the same? If so I'm definitely downloading it.

Yes. What were you thinking of doing? It can do everything a Windows PC can in terms of general tasks (office, media, internet) but if you need a specifically branded program then it may not work. For example, professional image editing is availible just fine using a program called The GIMP, but Photoshop in particular doesn't work.

dont bother with it, there is a youtube vid about a guy reviewing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviUfYMihM

basically unless you know how to work linux, dont bother.

Just watched the video and he's got a good point, I read about that how not much is compatible and there's not much to do with it. And really the only reason why I want to put linux on my PS3 is just to see how fast the processor really is (but I read somewhere that the processor is limited with linux?), and because I've never actually tried linux it'll be a new experience. Anyway I think I might give Ubuntu a try, that eases my mind a little more knowing that I'm only getting rid of .7 GB of the 10 GB for ubuntu, instead of 4GB with Yellow dog.

Another thing how come you can watch youtube video's with the PS3 browser but not on linux? According to that video that DogWeed sent, they showed that it didn't work on linux?

End of 08' Sales

^

well thats the point you have to find out how to use it. i guess the guy doesnt know how, but with linux ur using mozilla firefox, so i dont see why it wont work. The ps3 has only 1 SPE dedicated to the OS, so im pretty sure thats all that the OS will be using.

DogWeed said:
^

well thats the point you have to find out how to use it. i guess the guy doesnt know how, but with linux ur using mozilla firefox, so i dont see why it wont work. The ps3 has only 1 SPE dedicated to the OS, so im pretty sure thats all that the OS will be using.

Alright thank's for the explanation I think I'm going to give it a try, but if I have any problems I'll probably uninstall it, I really don't think I'll use the Linux OS for anything to complicated that's what this PC is for. So I guess I just have to wait for the keyboard I ordered and see.

End of 08' Sales