By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What do think are the top marketshare %s for each console thins generation?

TheSource - I love your numbers, except I doubt the Wii will be around after 2010.

OFFTOPIC

For those of you who say Wii2 will have PS3 like graphics.

Why does the Wii have N64 like graphics, but more power than a x-box? If the Wii had PS3 type power... do you think it would have better than N64 like graphics? The games are being designed cheap, and quick. Their using like 10-20% of the Wii's power. There is really no excuse for the graphics on the Wii in my book. The X-Box could brute-force the graphics like the Wii has on 50% power.

/OFFTOPIC

Highlight the off-topic to be distracted. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad, a black bar doesn't suddenly make that kind of behaviour acceptable. Trolling is as trolling does, and that's trolling plain and simple. Stop it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Kwaad said:

TheSource - I love your numbers, except I doubt the Wii will be around after 2010.

What would be the reason the Wii won't be around in 2010?  The Wii is expected to have a normal 5-6 year lifecycle 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kwaad said:

What would be the reason the Wii won't be around in 2010? The Wii is expected to have a normal 5-6 year lifecycle

I'm also thinking that the Wii may have a shorter life cycle.  I think the Wii2 and the Xbox 720 will come out in 2010 or 2011.  The reason for this is that everything online is booming and Nintendo will find that in a couple of years they will be able to have a machine as powerful as this gen's PS3 and 360 for a much lower price. 

Theres one other thing they have...  A LOT OF CASH!!!  They are going to have to find a way to put the money to use.  They weren't in the same position when they developed the Wii, and I bet they are confident enough now in  their Wii model to get aggressive with next gen.  Being the top selling consile this gen will surely give them a lot of developer support.  And since there games are easier to develop for because they are really a generation behind, the developers like the console because they can make money too!!!

The thing is, developing a new console is the most expensive part... you're putting in money, and not getting any out of it at that point. If they're selling well, and continue to sell well, they would be stupid to cut early and start from scratch again. That's more development costs that they'll have to eat.

Around the Network
footbag said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kwaad said:

What would be the reason the Wii won't be around in 2010? The Wii is expected to have a normal 5-6 year lifecycle

I'm also thinking that the Wii may have a shorter life cycle.  I think the Wii2 and the Xbox 720 will come out in 2010 or 2011.  The reason for this is that everything online is booming and Nintendo will find that in a couple of years they will be able to have a machine as powerful as this gen's PS3 and 360 for a much lower price. 

Theres one other thing they have...  A LOT OF CASH!!!  They are going to have to find a way to put the money to use.  They weren't in the same position when they developed the Wii, and I bet they are confident enough now in  their Wii model to get aggressive with next gen.  Being the top selling consile this gen will surely give them a lot of developer support.  And since there games are easier to develop for because they are really a generation behind, the developers like the console because they can make money too!!!

Then why not wait a year longer and release an even more powerful system at the same price, espceially if sales are going well and the money is rolling in

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

fishamaphone said:
The thing is, developing a new console is the most expensive part... you're putting in money, and not getting any out of it at that point. If they're selling well, and continue to sell well, they would be stupid to cut early and start from scratch again. That's more development costs that they'll have to eat.

So why did sony release the PS3 then? The PS2 is selling really well, worldwide.

z64dan said:
fishamaphone said:

So why did sony release the PS3 then? The PS2 is selling really well, worldwide.

It is a difficult balance between launching a console while you still have money comming in from the previous console (to offset the losses) and launching your system as late as possible to keep your customers happy; at the same time you don't want to leave your competition with too long of a head start to build a userbase.

The PS2 had effectively been killed off by DS domination in Japan and the XBox 360 launched in North America so the PS3 had to launch ASAP.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Kwaad said:

There is no reason to think that, In fact there are direct quotes from both Reggie and Iwata I believe about the Wii being planned to last 5 years. Although Reggie said 5 to 6. This whole  NewWii crap people are running with is annoying, and it propped up about the time it became apparent Wii was going to steam into 1st place. Its kind of a way to say the Wiis current momentum wont allow it to become the winner because surely the Wii will be prematurely killed off in favor of a more powerful version.

There are no quotes and no facts at all to back this idea up. But theres plenty of both to back up that this will NOT happen. Its a fanboys pipe dream, and its dredged up by people who havent a clue about business at all. Everytime I confront them about this "idea" with information directly from Nintendo its ignored also. It then pops up in another thread days later, like this one. 

I think the Wii could potentially get to 60% WW. With the 360 irrelavant in Japan, and the PS3 heading that way, I can see it happening.

360 at 25%
PS2 at 15%

It will depend on if Sony can turn things around or not.