By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Microsoft Needs a Kick in the Pants (and Why I hope MGS4 does it)

colonelstubbs said:
obieslut said:
colonelstubbs said:
obieslut said:
I am sorry but you can not compare NG2 with MGS4, thats just clitching on straws clutching at straws to be honest.

Pluss you are not taking into account that the new sku's are comeing out at the same time as MGS4, just looking at how the ps3 sales have dipped in NA shoud let you know how many people are waiting for the 80gb ps3.

Pluss guess what, you need to buy MGS4 to get is aswell lol

Minor fix required

HAHA i am so dumb lol. its because i was talking in italian to me mom whilst typing this up. i was not really paying to much attention

I have to ask...why were you talking in italian to your mum?

because me mum is like 1/8 Jamaican and 7/8 italian. So i talk in italian to me mom sometimes.

I dont have any English in me at all. but i was born in England  

Around the Network

They need a kick in the pants because Silverlight hasn't taken over yet.

Shameless said:
I feel sorry for Microsoft. They've had some amazing exclusives and easily the best library up until recently and they're still struggling. It's a shame really.

This much is true.

The funny thing about this generation is that it may be the first where the console with the best games comes in 3rd place.

If you look at the sales charts here, you'll notice that Microsoft, as a software company, sells very few games on the 360. What little money they receive they need to get from hardware. A price cut would just eat into their profits more. Microsoft, at this point, is concerned about breaking even.

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
June NPD will be epic.

I think PS3 = 2x 360. If it does beat it by 2:1, expect a 250 arcade, 300 premium, and 400 elite.

If it's anything less than that, don't expect a pricedrop. MS is worried about profit now.
Ok.  MGS4 is officially a disappointment if the PS3 doesn't outsell the 360 2 to 1 this June NPD.

Nah, not really.

That's what I think.  Especially with how low 360 and PS3 are this week in America, if the PS3 can just sell 200 - 250k more consoles than XBOX in June (4 week month), it will double 360 sales.  I don't think that's too hard of a stretch, but I'm no Pachter.  

MGS4 is a success no matter what happens, since it's an awesome game.  But sales-wise, I'd call it a disappointment if it didn't outsell 360 by 1.5:1

DMeisterJ said:

Nah, not really.

That's what I think. Especially with how low 360 and PS3 are this week in America, if the PS3 can just sell 200 - 250k more consoles than XBOX in June (4 week month), it will double 360 sales. I don't think that's too hard of a stretch, but I'm no Pachter.

MGS4 is a success no matter what happens, since it's an awesome game. But sales-wise, I'd call it a disappointment if it didn't outsell 360 by 1.5:1

What I don't get is the contradiction.  Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

Nah, not really.

That's what I think. Especially with how low 360 and PS3 are this week in America, if the PS3 can just sell 200 - 250k more consoles than XBOX in June (4 week month), it will double 360 sales. I don't think that's too hard of a stretch, but I'm no Pachter.

MGS4 is a success no matter what happens, since it's an awesome game. But sales-wise, I'd call it a disappointment if it didn't outsell 360 by 1.5:1

What I don't get is the contradiction.  Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

I think the slight Japan bump was just that, a 2k bump from last week, nothing that special.

EDIT:  

The problem is, fanboys of all consoles tend to over-analyze every piece of data, good, bad or indifferent, and something like a 2k boost has to be effected by something, when it's not really all that serious.  A bump that small in magnitude is minute.  now if it jumped to 20k that'd be a difference, but that 2k bump is nothing.  People tend to overthink things that are simply anomalies in data.

DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

What I don't get is the contradiction. Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

I think the slight Japan bump was just that, a 2k bump from last week, nothing that special.

To be honest, I think MGS4 will be huge, I just think most of the bump will be to the game, not to the PS3.  If GTAIV couldn't do it for the HD consoles, can MGS4 really stand a chance for more than a month or so?

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

What I don't get is the contradiction. Some people are saying the PS3's slight Japan bump was due to MGS4 coming, but label its poor NA sales as a bi-product of people waiting for MGS4.

To be honest, I think MGS4 will be huge, I just think most of the bump will be to the game, not to the PS3.  If GTAIV couldn't do it for the HD consoles, can MGS4 really stand a chance for more than a month or so?

I think GTAIV's effect was very muted due to the fact that it launched on two separate consoles.  It gave both a boost, but a moderate one.  Had it been exclusive, it would have gave on console a considerable boost.

By no means do I think that MGS4 = GTA IV but with this bundle coming out, and rumours of replenishment of the bundles (much like the Motorstorm one), it could do well, since the 80 gig was selling very well...  

And with Microsoft sales not looking too good next to the PS3 (only led by a few hundred last month), with (arguably) the biggest game the PS3 will see this year, I think it will move lots of consoles, but what do I know, I'm no analyst.

Madyson5 said:
Heh, MGS4 will do nothing of the sort. Certanly will not do X2 the 360 with NG2 out this month as well.

True that no way MGS4 will help the PS3 double 360 sales lol

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

DMeisterJ said:

I think GTAIV's effect was very muted due to the fact that it launched on two separate consoles. It gave both a boost, but a moderate one. Had it been exclusive, it would have gave on console a considerable boost.

By no means do I think that MGS4 = GTA IV but with this bundle coming out, and rumours of replenishment of the bundles (much like the Motorstorm one), it could do well, since the 80 gig was selling very well...

And with Microsoft sales not looking too good next to the PS3 (only led by a few hundred last month), with (arguably) the biggest game the PS3 will see this year, I think it will move lots of consoles, but what do I know, I'm no analyst.

I actually wonder if it wouldnt have been better for the PS3 if MGS4 had launched during the holidays.  With the delay (or perceived delay) of all the consoles legacy AAA titles (FF, GT, GoW), it will actually have less guarenteed console upgraders than Microsoft.  The Xbox 360 will have Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie, which arn't nearly as big, but are something nonetheless.