By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kojima Productions: No 90 minutes cutscenes!

Wow, I'm worried this is going to turn alot of people off to MGS.

Around the Network

so how long are the cutscenes?

Onimusha12 said:
Wow, I'm worried this is going to turn alot of people off to MGS.

You mean the long cutscenes?

ToastyJaguar said:
so how long are the cutscenes?

On average they're between 5-10 minutes. But there are quite a few of them that run over 20 minutes long but not much more than that. The first half of the game is balanced closer to MGS3 with about 1/3rd cutscenes and 2/3rds gameplay. The second half has simply too much weight to carry as far as tying up the storyline and contains an unnecessary amount of cameo appearences which just lengthens the exposition. I would guess from act 3 onwards cutscenes make up roughly half the gameplay time.

Well of course the last part of the game has a lot more cutscenes...its wrapping up snakes entire story!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Well of course the last part of the game has a lot more cutscenes...its wrapping up snakes entire story!

I'm not going to spoil the plot, but amount of cameo's and characters with weight in the storyline dilutes the sense that this is Snakes final mission because he in fact only plays a partial role even during the ending sequences. I think a lot of people will be divided as to how Kojima handled the ending and most of the story threads. I would have prefered if as you said the last part of the game really did focus on Snake as well as the overarching plot but because of the sheer amount of characters involved his impact is dimished.

Enough to say that this will be controversial game if only for it's storyline, but the gameplay I think we can unanimously agree that it is absolutely fantastic. Purely gameplay wise this is one of the best games I have ever played.

I give this thread a 9.0
I give Profcrab an average of 7.5 for his posts.
I give the community an 8.0 on average.
I give Konami a 4.5 for their entire behaviour in this.

And finally I give Mr. Kojima a 2.0 for creating such long cutscenes, thus revealing to everyone that he is unable (unwilling?) to tell the story through gameplay. Which makes a game a game.

Yes, we need to bring average review scores down. so please no wcore inflation, Mr Crab.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
I give this thread a 9.0

And finally I give Mr. Kojima a 2.0 for creating such long cutscenes, thus revealing to everyone that he is unable (unwilling?) to tell the story through gameplay. Which makes a game a game.

Yes, we need to bring average review scores down. so please no wcore inflation, Mr Crab.

People like throwing that around but I fail to see how you could possibly tell the MGS story through gameplay? Raiden backstory through gameplay? GW's ambitions through gameplay? Meanderings on memes and genes, identity and others through gameplay? The Boss's death and Big Boss's apparent resentment during his recieval of the Big Boss title? The content of the monologues through gameplay? I do not see how unless you mean that Kojoma should erect giant signboards in game with the dialog on them in bullet points.

DTG said:
Faxanadu said:
I give this thread a 9.0

People like throwing that around but I fail to see how you could possibly tell the MGS story through gameplay? Raiden backstory through gameplay? GW's ambitions through gameplay? Meanderings on memes and genes, identity and others through gameplay? The Boss's death and Big Boss's apparent resentment during his recieval of the Big Boss title? The content of the monologues through gameplay? I do not see how unless you mean that Kojoma should erect giant signboards in game with the dialog on them in bullet points.

oh my. now i feels sick. same feeling I had listening to those incoherent ramblings of the french dude (cause and effect bull) in Matrix 2. After that, I was impotent for at least 2 years since whenever I thought about that shit he spouted I immediately got turned off.

Thanks for reminding me.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

and to be clear: i didnt mean your writing, I meant what the story in MGS4 seems to entail.

I have no idea how to put that into gameplay. But then again, I wouldnt And I would also not put it in the story.