By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kojima Productions: No 90 minutes cutscenes!

dbot said:

@bbsin - Many developers are already complaining about the lack of a hard drive in the 360, Rockstar most recently. I don't think they are complaining about game saves.

I never said any about gamesaves...  I said that the only reasons why devs would require an installtion on the 360 is if the DVD just couldn't hold enough data.

Around the Network

I tried doing some digging around by contacting some friends I know in the US side of things and most of them haven't even recieved a review copy of the game yet. Note that these are fairly established (not Kotaku large) publications. The two that did won't be posting reviews til 3 days prior to the games launch but they're unable to tell me anything. Because of major time differences some Asian countries will be recieving the game nearly two days earlier to their American counterparts which would make Konami lifting restrictions earlier logical.

According to someone on Gamefaqs who has obtained a copy early said there isn't any cutscene near 90 minutes. He did note the final scene being slightly over one hour and a mid game scene being between 30-40 minutes.

Baffled by the accounts by EDGE and PSW I asked him if there were any two cutscenes interrupted by periods of gameplay short enough to ignore. Basically there are two scenes in particular totaling over one hour if you chose to disregard a gameplay sequences of roughly 5 minutes between them. They still would not approach 90 minutes however.

I've suspected this earlier that the disparity between publisher accounts is similar to what happened with Sons of Liberty where some reviewers chose to ignore the Solidus battle, instead refering to the ending as stretching from the post Ray fights. I don't honestly think anyone has intended to "lie" about the cutscene length.

I'll have the game by either late afternoon or early tomorrow so I'll be able to give some first hand accounts then (I won't post any spoilers though at this point most of everything has been leaked anyway)

Everyone rush through the game when it comes out so we can see if this true or not.

I wonder if it really is an exageration, why they all decided to go with 90 minutes.

Update: I recieved the game early this morning. I'm 4 hours in so far at the beginning of act 2. The longest cutscene as of now has been 10-12 minutes.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
I wonder if it really is an exageration, why they all decided to go with 90 minutes.

Because they lie! LIE!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Faxanadu said:
Question: how many are above 15 minutes? how many above 30?

30 would already be unbearable for me.

30 is absolutely unbearable for me too. Hell, a 10 minute cut scene would be okay, if there was one or maybe two in a game. But If I want to watch something, I'm gonna watch something good and not somethin B-movie quality.

If 90 minutes is a "gross exaggeration" then I think it's safe to assume they aren't even half this long.  If it was 60 minute and someone called it 90, you could not possibly call that a gross exaggeration.

If that's not the case, I think we could call a lie out of Kojima productions and label them dishonorable. Would most agree?

DTG said:
Update: I recieved the game early this morning. I'm 4 hours in so far at the beginning of act 2. The longest cutscene as of now has been 10-12 minutes.

i hate you, seriously you have the game, damn.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I'm near the end of act 4.
So far roughly half was cutscenes and half was gameplay. One cutscene was around 40 minutes. The others are on average 5-10 minutes long (with several longer ones) and pop up every 15-20 or so minutes.

I just finished the game 5 minutes ago. I've been playing it non stop for 15 hours now. Note that I blasted through the game simply to experience the storyline, the actual gameplay had I took my time would be considerably longer.

Anyway, about the cutscenes, the ending was over an hour, possibly 70-75 minutes. The second longest cutscene is the 40-50 or so minute one I mentioned mid game. The second half of the game is extremely cutscene heavy with at times very short bursts of gameplay so if I did disregard some of the short intermission gameplay sequences I may arrive at 2 roughly one hour long sequences, but not anywhere near 90 minutes. I didn't use a stopwatch though.

I can't honestly give any impressions as of yet. The ending in particular is something very unexpected and I will have to sit on it for a while contemplating everything. Will need to replay it again more fully to be able to write a well founded review. But yeah, no single 90 minute cutscene. Bummer!