By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so much negative attitude this gen ?

I blame internet forums

Around the Network
Ail said:

It used to be you bought a console because you liked the games selection for it and I do not remember so many complains last gen about wether such and such game was available on one platform or another...

Whereas this gen, not a day pass without a new thread complaining about such and such game not being ported on X platform, or asking to boycott such and such editor because he does not support the given platform in the way fans want...

So are there that many people that actually made the choice to buy a console and then hope the games would come for it, instead of checking carefully what the selection of available or announced games was before making their console selection ?

It seems to me that instead of blaming the developers a lot of the blame falls on the customer's side for not researching before buying...

What started it was massive anti-PS3 sentiment online well before the console was released.  Microsoft had a viral marketing campaign related to it.  ("arrogance," "Blu-Ray is the new betamax," "PS3 features like HDMI don't matter," etc.) I believe that was unlike anything we'd seen in previous generations.  Then, after all 3 consoles were launched, Wii started to kick butt and receive too much shovelware, and that added a new HD vs casual/blue ocean dimension.  Now lots of people are all pissed off.

And yeah, internet forums enable a lot of it. 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Ail said:

It used to be you bought a console because you liked the games selection for it and I do not remember so many complains last gen about wether such and such game was available on one platform or another...

Whereas this gen, not a day pass without a new thread complaining about such and such game not being ported on X platform, or asking to boycott such and such editor because he does not support the given platform in the way fans want...

So are there that many people that actually made the choice to buy a console and then hope the games would come for it, instead of checking carefully what the selection of available or announced games was before making their console selection ?

It seems to me that instead of blaming the developers a lot of the blame falls on the customer's side for not researching before buying...

What started it was massive anti-PS3 sentiment online well before the console was released.  Microsoft had a viral marketing campaign related to it.  ("arrogance," "Blu-Ray is the new betamax," "PS3 features like HDMI don't matter," etc.) I believe that was unlike anything we'd seen in previous generations.  Then, after all 3 consoles were launched, Wii started to kick butt and receive too much shovelware, and that added a new HD vs casual/blue ocean dimension.  Now lots of people are all pissed off.

And yeah, internet forums enable a lot of it. 

Obviously you missed the screwjob Sony put on the Dreamcast before PS2's launch.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

It seems not to many people were old enough to experience the last paradigm shift in videogames.
Oh well.
Guess there's a first time for everything.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Bored4life said:
It seems not to many people were old enough to experience the last paradigm shift in videogames.
Oh well.
Guess there's a first time for everything.
Was that when the ps1 made a more casual but "mature" market?

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:
Last gen almost everyone had a PS2 and almost all the games were on it. This gen almost everyone has a Wii and almost non of the games are on it.

Not really.

This gen is pretty evenly split between PS360 and Wii.

Even though PS360 has a larger marketshare, Wii owners feel like every game needs to be on their console.

You mean the Wii is getting big budget games in an equal amount at the other systems, and the HD systems get as many low budget games? Unless you can prove that, I'm calling BS.

Or I may call BS right now. You've sublty put down the Wii a lot, and this just confirms you are a basher, even if you claim to have the system.

Me, I guess I got negativity, but mainly to people who twist facts. It's a personal issue, but I try to be fair with systems. It's true the Wii is not an HD system, but it is NOT true that the Wii has anywhere near the high grade support the HD systems have.

Wii owners aren't asking for every big 3rd-party game to come to their system. They are asking for SOME big 3rd-party games to come to their system. 

Erm...

I've never claimed to have the Wii.

ferret1603 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:
Last gen almost everyone had a PS2 and almost all the games were on it. This gen almost everyone has a Wii and almost non of the games are on it.

Wii owners feel like every game needs to be on their console.

We do? That's news to me. I've no interest whatsoever in most games that get released, be they on PS3, Xbox 360, PC, or even Wii.

The Bionic Command Petiton, RE5 petition, and countless others say otherwise.

Words Of Wisdom said:

People forget pretty quick what it was like back in the SNES/Genesis generation... the N64/PS1 generation...

There was a lot of hostility out there. It may be because you were too young to remember the fierce rivalries that were out there. One of the biggest arguing points was the difference between the SNES and Genesis Mortal Kombat (kudos to those who remember). It wasn't just between fans either. There was plenty of malice on the part of the console manufacturers as well.

This generation is no more hostile than any other ones; it's just that some people are now old enough to see it and the internet allows information to be exchanged much quicker.

I still don't understand how SEGA screwed that all up.. they had better titles on the Genesis then the SNES had... much better....

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:

We do? That's news to me. I've no interest whatsoever in most games that get released, be they on PS3, Xbox 360, PC, or even Wii.

Are there petitions for every game, or just a few games? Those only prove a few games, not every game. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:
DMeisterJ said:
ferret1603 said:

Are there petitions for every game, or just a few games? Those only prove a few games, not every game. 

There's more, smaller ones, but my post was to only prove a point.

You don't see PS360 owners petitioning for games on their system, so like I said, Wii owners feel like every game needs to be on their system.