By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 90 minute cut scenes/install size discussed on X-Play

Did we not expect long cutscenes?

Kojima said that MGS4 would be like MGS2, so I expected long cutscenes.

Also, mandatory installs are beginning to be old news, they're only a big deal to people who don't own PS3s as a means to try to downplay the system. Most system owners don't care about taking ten minutes to install something and move on.

I don't think either two are big deals, but I'm sure some reviewers would have lowered the score for the game based off of those two things, since people always want attention nowadays.

Around the Network

So wait....the 4gb install....they are saying that those who own a 20gig model deserve to know that 1/5 of their hard drive will be taken up...

How about those who bought a 20gig model should have thought about this before buying the smallest model!!

OR

What do they think these PS3 owners are expecting over the years? An empty hard drive? Shouldnt PS3 owners expect installs to fill their hard drive? YES! Its not like this is suddenly some crazy thing thats just arrived! Plenty of games have taken up chunks of the harddrive.

All this is is 360 fanboys trying to find fault with what should be the greatest masterpiece of our medium....they WISH it was on their console

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

If Konami tried to control reviews, how could Eurogamer mention both the lengthy cutscenes and install time in their review? Why wasn't it a problem for other reviewers then if EGM weren't allowed to mention those issues.

Everytime I see something like this I just want to call up and ask for a highly paid PR/Marketing job based on the promise I won't make such silly mistakes as Konami has done here.

Install size - the HDD is there for a reason so far as I'm concerned and I don't mind it being used. If you don't like this approach then there's always the 360 that's the whole point of competition and choice. Hiding the fact there's an install makes no sense - particularly when it didn't hurt DMC4, GTA IV, etc.

Cut scenes - well, this is kind of interesting. From what I've read none would seem to be 90 min but some are obviously long (and skipable). I guess the question is should this be seen as a negative or not? For some maybe, and I guess reviewers should be able to mention it although I don't see it as a specific negative (i.e. something like a bad framerate or poor aiming) so much as something totally subjective. And I guess Konami got twitchy that this aspect might put off some (unfairly in their eyes, like someone not watching a good film because there are some extended dialogue scenes, although I see it as a personal choice).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think there are plenty of people who didn't expect games to take up a lot of hard drive space. This is the first console to really require huge chunks of disk space for games. Many people think the hard disk is more for video and DLC, not game installs. So I don't blame consumers if they didn't know.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Did we not expect long cutscenes?

Kojima said that MGS4 would be like MGS2, so I expected long cutscenes.

Also, mandatory installs are beginning to be old news, they're only a big deal to people who don't own PS3s as a means to try to downplay the system. Most system owners don't care about taking ten minutes to install something and move on.

I don't think either two are big deals, but I'm sure some reviewers would have lowered the score for the game based off of those two things, since people always want attention nowadays.

exactly.... this is getting rediculous.... i have a 60gb HD and i have 25gb of game installs (including PSN dowloads of demos and full games) and i dont mind making space on my system for any new games since it has games on it that i dont even have anymore.... I had the system for a year now and i dont mind installs at all since most computer games take 3 times as long to install.... and i would much rather play a game with less loading times. 20 minutes oooooohhhh jeez my life is over!

As for the long cut scenes..... its MSG when did we stop expecting long cut scenes?

I don't know why they would hide 90 minute cutscenes. I for one welcome out 90 minute cut scene masters. Seriously it's Metal Gear. If I didn't spend as much time watching it as playing it i'd be annoyed. Think of it like an interactive movie. If anything i'm looking forward to it even more after hearing this.

Yes

FishyJoe said:
I think there are plenty of people who didn't expect games to take up a lot of hard drive space. This is the first console to really require huge chunks of disk space for games. Many people think the hard disk is more for video and DLC, not game installs. So I don't blame consumers if they didn't know.

True true, but it's very easy to amend the memory solution (at least in comparison to it's two competitors).

You can go out and spend fifty bucks on an 120 gig hard drive for the PS3, and then swap it out yourself, and install games, DLC, and whatever until you're blue in the face.  But on the 360, once you fill up your hard drive (20 or 120 gigs), you're maxed out.  There are no bigger sizes than that, while 2.5" hard drives can go up to 250 gb, more than dobule that.  And for the Wii, once your system memory is low, you'll be deleting, moving stuff from your memory to your SD card.

So yes, installs aren't fun, and take up space, but you can do something about that, whereas, you really can't on the other two systems.

I'm glad no one went through with this and kept mum about the 90 minute cutscenes, I am one of those people wh ocanceled his pre-order after I found out about them. Sorry, but I like to play games not watch them. The longest cutscene I can handle is 30-40 min, after that I start figeting.

DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:

True true, but it's very easy to amend the memory solution (at least in comparison to it's two competitors).

You can go out and spend fifty bucks on an 120 gig hard drive for the PS3, and then swap it out yourself, and install games, DLC, and whatever until you're blue in the face.  But on the 360, once you fill up your hard drive (20 or 120 gigs), you're maxed out.  There are no bigger sizes than that, while 2.5" hard drives can go up to 250 gb, more than dobule that.  And for the Wii, once your system memory is low, you'll be deleting, moving stuff from your memory to your SD card.

So yes, installs aren't fun, and take up space, but you can do something about that, whereas, you really can't on the other two systems.

Its the same problem, once you fill up your disk the data will not magically move to your new disk, you need to put money, and find a way to move your data, like the Wii with the SD cards...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."