By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gamesradar MGS -9/10 "too self indulgent, destroys MGS3's gameplay pacing"

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/review/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/a-20080602125952203027/g-20051216153655522074/p-3

The review basically contends that the ending wasn't true to Kojima's original vision and doesn't have the emotional impact they hoped for. It's too self indulgent, with hours of exposition that could have been cut and that after the South American act the pace basically withers away as bite size gameplay is surrounded by mammoth cutscenes.

Around the Network

I expect a lot of that.

MGS4 review scores collapsing under the enormous weight put on it by us, the gamers, and the press alike.

it got a 9 out of 10. how is this a bad thing?

so 9 is bad now?

anyways, DTG why did you just mention negatives?post positive and negative of the game

@ Doat

I was moreso talking about their comments than the score.

The score resonates well for me, since they grade on whole numbers out of ten.

Around the Network

I don't point out the positives because they're quite obvious to anyone who has played a MGS game before, and it's quite redundant to restate as there is a majority of positive and outright fanboyish reviews out there detailing the qualities of the game extensively.

I think people should be more aware of the complaints instead because this is a franchise that is very dividing and some if not many of the new fans who joined on board amidst all the hype will find themselves disappointed unless aware of controversial aspects of the game and series.

Personally I find myself more more excited for the game due to the 9 and 8 reviews and their complaints, because it is exactly the series self indulgent, overly introspective and cinematic nature that draws me to it. So rather than looking at this as a negative I actually view it as a pro. On the otherhand the perfect score reviews fail to excite me because of their "politically" correct nature of chiming along with the mainstream view by not mentioning the self indulgent, overly cinematic nature of the game in positive light -rather simply ignore it.

So this could be classed as 4.5/5 which is great

Or 90% which is not so great (by MGS standards)

Or even......18/20!!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

"Not as good as we hoped"

Ouch, that's a little blunt. Still, can't complain with a 9/10 score.

9/10 is a A in my book

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

DTG said:
I don't point out the positives because they're quite obvious to anyone who has played a MGS game before, and it's quite redundant to restate as there is a majority of positive and outright fanboyish reviews out there detailing the qualities of the game extensively.

I think people should be more aware of the complaints instead because this is a franchise that is very dividing and some if not many of the new fans who joined on board amidst all the hype will find themselves disappointed unless aware of controversial aspects of the game and series.

Personally I find myself more more excited for the game due to the 9 and 8 reviews and their complaints, because it is exactly the series self indulgent, overly introspective and cinematic nature that draws me to it. So rather than looking at this as a negative I actually view it as a pro. On the otherhand the perfect score reviews fail to excite me because of their "politically" correct nature of chiming along with the mainstream view by not mentioning the self indulgent, overly cinematic nature of the game in positive light -rather simply ignore it.

Though we disagree strongly on the nature of MGS's story, I couldn't agree with the bolded more.

Just one more reason why videogame reviewers suck at their jobs. Failing to mention something as big as cutscenes (they don't even have to mention length) and fragmented gameplay later in the game (because of frequency of cutscenes) is flat-out irresponsible, even if the reviewer enjoyed that part of the game.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/