By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles Headed for Extinction?

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/are-consoles-headed-for-extinction/?biz=1

Consoles as we know them could be on the way out in the long-term, as the industry looks to a more service oriented business model. DFC's David Cole sheds some light on the topic.

Posted by James Brightman on Friday, May 30, 2008

In DFC Intelligence's most recent report on the growth of the video game industry and the console wars, the firm makes an interesting point about the console side of this expanding business:

"The biggest story over the next few years may be the declining overall importance of the console systems. Last year Sony's biggest selling game system was the portable PSP. Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS blew out all records for game system hardware unit sales (portable or console) in a single year. From a pure revenue perspective, the biggest system for software sales in 2007 was the PC, if you include revenue generated from online services."

"One area of concern is that the console hardware business is very difficult... It is a really tough business to have to reinvent every five years."

With that in mind, we wondered what this really means for the future console landscape. Are consoles ultimately doomed for extinction in the long run, or will there actually be a standard as Denis Dyack believes? We tracked down DFC President David Cole to have him answer our questions and expand on the initial DFC report. Here's what he had to say:

I think that doomed for extinction is definitely too harsh a term. However, declining in overall importance is a different matter. Also this is the type of thing that takes years to happen...as we said, we are still expecting the next gen of console systems to follow the traditional model.

But it is an issue as the game industry goes to more of a service oriented business and consumers access products on multiple devices. Ten years ago only a handful of kids played games on PCs; they almost all played on console systems. Today's kids play games on multiple systems including consoles, PCs and portable systems. When they become adults they will probably continue to do the same. That means consoles co-exist with other platforms.

However, it is important to remember the console manufacturers play a very important role in spending billions of dollars to not only develop, but also market a stable platform for software developers and third-party publishers. The industry would really struggle without their investment. One area of concern is that the console hardware business is very difficult... look at how many years Nintendo was down, look at how much money Microsoft has lost, look at Sony's losses over the past two years. It is a really tough business to have to reinvent every five years. Of course, if you are successful the payoff is huge – witness Nintendo's growth in the past two years.

The problem with the idea of a standard (an idea that has been around for years) is who is there to get the reward for taking the risk? If there are no companies willing to invest billions in order to receive a payoff it starts to look like a free for all. Sony would like their platform to be the standard... ditto Microsoft.

I think the high reward for being a successful console manufacturer, versus the benefits to the industry as a whole from the investments the Microsofts, Sonys and Nintendos of the world put into building a platform means the extinction of the console may be further off than many seem to believe. Of course, as other platforms grow that doesn't mean the consoles won't have less and less share. It is kind of like what happened to the movie box office when TV came along. In the U.S. box office attendance peaked way back in 1946 but people still go to the movies.

Around the Network

Videogames are having better and better years every year, yet they are headed for extinction?

I wish there was a standard, an unified system.

It's not a very good time for a "consoles are dying in the next few years" article, since the Wii is poised to break all records (in fact it's breaking some already).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sony has already toyed with a system that isnt based in a console, aka you download games straight to your tv and play them...id pay for that

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Sony has already toyed with a system that isnt based in a console, aka you download games straight to your tv and play them...id pay for that

You mean the console is inside the TV? It's still a console though, unless we want to get really pedantic.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Economies prevent a true monopoly (this case would be OS and configuration monopoly). If it did get support it wouldn't be for long.

There is always a consumer group who is off-the-grid or non-conformist.

These are the people who put up solar panels instead of using the power company, people who use old formats.

Technology always provides substitute products.

35mm and 8mm

Film vs. Movies,

CD vs. MP3 vs. Vinyl vs. Tapes,

Home Phone vs. Cell Phone vs. Inernet Phone vs. Smoke Signals vs. Tin Cans With String vs. Satellite Phones vs. Letters

Companies see niche as a way to exploit the monopolistic convention.

IBM/HP/Dell/Gateway vs. Apple

Windows vs. Unix vs. Linux vs. Apple OS

Direct vs. Open

Product Differentiation is how companies create demand, demand comes from the feeling we think we are going to get if we buy a product.

(Edit: THere will always be other formats anyway: PCs, Handhelds, Mobile phones, Watches, Self Contained Games, PDAs, Holodecks, VR sets, Nuerodevices (which may oneday become a standard if we ever reach the singularity), etc.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Considering video game sales (mostly console-based) have been rising every quarter relative to the year before, saying consoles will go extinct is simply idiotic.

Yes, if you include the revenue WoW makes, PC gaming looks pretty healthy, but subtract that number and just look at every other game and you will get a far more sobering picture.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Well when you can connect everything to a single powerful computer then I don't think you'll need a console. Its much more efficient to have one powerful machine that does everything than a Console and multiple PC's in the house.

Funny if in the future companies just sell compatible peripherals. Like buy our controller and you can play Wii games.

Tease.

How can consoles become extinct?!

There will always be a group of followers, just like on the PC. That's because everyone is going to keep watching television on a... Well, TV.

The argument that everything will be replaced by something else is true, but not in the way the article suggests. There's a new generation of consoles every few years. Instead of making a totally new working product they build something that works like the old one (uses a tv, uses cables to connect, has a controller to play games etc...) but has newer technologies.

So it's more repacling as: Bigger HDD, More poly's a sec, more raw prosessing power, a new controller design here and there.

Instead of Walkman>MP3. Which both play music but in an entirely different way.

THE NETHERLANDS