By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unity Game Engine announced...

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2008/6/prweb986244.htm 

Cutting-Edge Game Engine Delivers Faster Iteration Time; Superior Tools Take Full Advantage of Leading Console's Innovative Capabilities

San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) June 2, 2008 -- Unity Technologies, a leading 3D game development tool provider, today announced it is supporting the Nintendo Wii™ console as an authorized middleware provider. The Unity game engine is the cutting-edge choice for creating visually-rich, 3D games for the desktop, Web, and leading mobile devices and video game consoles.

"Unity has streamlined the game development process with an engine that is tuned for quickly and efficiently creating and porting games to the Wii," said David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies. "Unity provides the fastest iteration time, which is crucial when a developer wants to make best use of the Wii console's innovative controllers. Developers can create rich, visually engaging 3D content through a process that is simpler and more seamless than any other tool set available -- regardless of the platform."

Unity provides the fastest iteration time, which is crucial when a developer wants to make best use of the Wii console's innovative controllers. Developers can create rich, visually engaging 3D content through a process that is simpler and more seamless than any other tool set available -- regardless of the platform.
Unity's game engine allows developers to create, modify and iterate on Wii game functionality with the following features:

• Live Preview: The play button allows developers to instantly preview their game inside the authoring environment exactly as it currently exists, regardless of the development phase. Users can modify any object's properties and see the results in real-time without pausing.
  • Scriptable Controller: Simple, straightforward, fully-featured Wii Remote™ scripting class lets developers read data from the Wii Remote controller, Nunchuk™ controller, and Classic Controller™ effortlessly.
  • Optimized Character Animation: Developers can create characters without special exports, imports, or modifications required. Files drop easily into Unity and the characters come to life with full animation on Wii hardware.
  • Scriptable Shaders: Unity's ShaderLab system has been expanded to leverage the full power of the Wii graphics chip. Developers can use one of the built-in shaders optimized for Wii or write their own. They can script and modify any shader on any object.
  • Click to Publish: Developers can easily run their game on their Wii development kit, building it with one click.

Unity allows developers to create core content, then choose from a wide range of deployment options. With Unity, developers can reuse artwork assets, scripts and other key content with no need for major rewrites. Whether developing an original title for the Wii console, or a port from the desktop, Web, or iPhone, Unity provides a streamlined and superior approach. For more information on Unity's tools for the Wii console, developers can contact the company directly at: sales@unity3d.com.

About Unity Technologies
Unity Technologies' innovative Unity game engine is the cutting-edge choice for creating visually-rich, 3D games for the desktop, Web, and leading mobile devices and video game consoles. Based in Copenhagen with sales and marketing offices in San Francisco, CA, Unity provides tools to game developers and creative visualization professionals to deliver superior 3D content that can be generated faster and more efficiently than other tool sets. Unity customers include leading game developers, educational institutions and industry visionaries: Smashing Ideas, Trigger, Freeverse, Shockwave.com, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Flashbang Studios, Three Melons and Skyworks Technologies. For more information, visit the Unity website at unity3d.com.

Around the Network

Wheres the game using this?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

there's not yet - that would be nice to see as it may be garbage. Just think this is another solution out there to help people quickly create.

I dont know the technical sides of things but whats the dotted paragraph means? And whats this mean?

"Unity provides the fastest iteration time, which is crucial when a developer wants to make best use of the Wii console's innovative controllers. Developers can create rich, visually engaging 3D content through a process that is simpler and more seamless than any other tool set available -- regardless of the platform."

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

I think everyone should know about this thread, I've seen the site the graphics engine was AWESOME! Still cant believe if this engine was possible for the Wii:

http://unity3d.com/

the site

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Around the Network

it means they say t hat unity can let the dev make a 3d game faster than any other gaming engine- be it a wii, ps3,ps2,360 or pc game...

whether or not it is true, no idea

yushire said:
I think everyone should know about this thread, I've seen the site the graphics engine was AWESOME! Still cant believe if this engine was possible for the Wii:

the site

I know you're being sarcastic but:

was done using the Unity engine (although, probably with a fairly decent PC set-up).

yushire said:

I dont know the technical sides of things but whats the dotted paragraph means? And whats this mean?

"Unity provides the fastest iteration time, which is crucial when a developer wants to make best use of the Wii console's innovative controllers. Developers can create rich, visually engaging 3D content through a process that is simpler and more seamless than any other tool set available -- regardless of the platform."

ignore the dots, I can see why you thought it was announcing a game

to iterate is to loop as in repeat something over and over so I imagine "Unity provides the fastest iteration time, which is crucial when a developer wants to make best use of the Wii console's innovative controllers" means this tool will help do all of the repetitive tasks of development - maybe mapping certain events to a control movement trigger.

What do I know, I only write call centre software and that doesn't require engines.

It actually has an engine for the controller. A lot of games could use something like this.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

HappySqurriel said:
yushire said:

the site

I know you're being sarcastic but:

was done using the Unity engine (although, probably with a fairly decent PC set-up).

Its a alpha stage engine, just look at the floors, even with a decent PC theres no realistic floors such as that, Im talking about the texture BTW. Have you seen the goldsrc engine? Or the engine made in PS2 games? The lighting, the background, etc... Seem the developer of this engine should work more but even with the alpha stages they can surely achieve good graphics.

E3 2010- Tape runs out