By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple gaming rumour rises again.

darthdevidem01 said:
I'd rather buy M$ than Apple

Apple = Overprices, Overhyped & not of greater quality as most people think

thank goodness, im glad someone else here has done there research like me, your spot on, apples are way overpiced for there specs, and if anything worse in quality than PC's

Around the Network

Personally, I don't welcome Apple's entry into the game industry.

I suppose, however, that it's quite likely to happen, because entering the gaming business could benefit Apple in the long run.

iPhone has big potential to become a good hand-held gaming platform in the future. If they somehow succeed with it, it's going to be very lucrative for Apple.

Another reason to tap into the game market is that games could help sustain and expand the success of Macintosh and OSX.

A lot of PC users I know are reluctant to switch to Mac simply because they can't play PC games on Mac. If Apple can make their console games compatible with or easily-ported to Mac OS, it should help the sales of Mac/OS to some extent -- similar to how the success of iPod in the past few years seems to contribute to the sales of Mac.

But Apple needs a partner. They can't transform themselves into a great game developer overnight. I was thinking that, in the future, EA might partner with Apple.

Apple could benefit from EA's IPs, development resources, and publishing power. On the other hand, EA was rumored to be interested in creating their own console, and they could certainly benefit from Apple's brand name and hardware design. It's a win-win situation for them.

Whether Apple will succeed or not is another question.
Personally, I don't think they will.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

omoneru said:

A lot of PC users I know are reluctant to switch to Mac simply because they can't play PC games on Mac. If Apple can make their console games compatible with or easily-ported to Mac OS, it should help the sales of Mac/OS to some extent -- similar to how the success of iPod in the past few years seems to contribute to the sales of Mac.

This make sense and might actually work well for them.  Imagine the same game disk that run on Apple's console, or you desktop/laptop Mac.  No install, no configuration, just put it in your iMac and it runs.  They would already have a good installed base with their desktops to get developers to jump on.  MacOS users would suddenly have the "There are no games on the Mac" argument go away, helping computer sales as well.

They would just need to take the Mac Mini, modify the interface, and add a better video card and a controller.

Yes, and suppose EA joined with Apple.

If EA makes Madden, Sim City, FIFA, et al. exclusive to Apple's console, or make them semi-exclusive by delaying their releases on other consoles, it's going to have some impact.

If EA successfully buys Take-Two and makes GTA V Apple's exclusive, it's going to be big.

- Aimee Mann

Again, too late. Current development costs do not bode well for a 4th platform entry. Publishers are stretched thin enough as it is and Apple would receive very little support because of a small install, unproven track record and the aforementioned already stretched pool of funds.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

@Viper1

I don't think Apple can effectively compete with MS, Sony, or Nintendo this generation.

But Apple might do it anyway. They may enter the game business next year, achieve a moderate success on mobile games on iPhone, maybe release some stylish console to gain some interim experience, and, with the help of big publishers like EA, prepare for their full-fledged fight in the next generation, 2011 or 2012.

- Aimee Mann

Wow.

The controller is a classic remote from Wii.

Also Apple will have a very slow, expensive flat system, lol no thx.

Apple's entry into gaming scares me because unlike everyone else i see Sony being edged out of consoles, not MS. The thought of MS Nintendo and Apple fighting for gamers and MS and Apple Fighting for computers leaves me with a hollow feeling that all the quirky individualism will leave gaming save for Nintendo. I like having a system made by strictly hardware manufacturers not OS makers cuz we may just get what we have feared, living room based computers with full operating systems and the complications that come with that.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Rock_on_2008 said:
Apple could squeeze out Microsoft from the video games market and we would have Apple, Sony and Nintendo. The weakest player gets squeezed out as we have seen in the past with both Sega and Atari and countless other companies.

The weakest player after the end of the generation maybe is SONY with billions and billions of losses...

@Untouch

I hope you do realize that that's obviously a fake picture.

It's presumably made by the game journalists to provide an idea of the rumored product.

Game journalists do this kind of things all the time - inserting photoshopped images into their articles to give some idea of what they're writing about. I can't believe I have to explain the obvious.

- Aimee Mann