By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Rath said:
sc94597 said:
Q_A_X said:
The correct usage is that of the nation the language originated from.

So we should all be using zeta? Isn't that what this specific word originated as? :)

Edit: Zee btw.

Well even though I don't agree with his sentiment you're still wrong. We aren't speaking Greek, we're speaking English. The English use 'zed'.

Well it still orginated from the greek, and going by Q_A_X logic we should be using it the by what it originally started from. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Rath said:
sc94597 said:
Q_A_X said:

So we should all be using zeta? Isn't that what this specific word originated as? :)

Well even though I don't agree with his sentiment you're still wrong. We aren't speaking Greek, we're speaking English. The English use 'zed'.

Well it still orginated from the greek, and going by Q_A_X logic we should be using it the by what it originally started from.

No, the letter originated from Greek. Q_A_X only said the language. You need to read his post a couple of times over methinks.

sc94597 said:
Rath said:
sc94597 said:
Q_A_X said:

Except Greek is a different Language... the letters mainly came from Greek originally (check my post above as there are some differences) but they are in fact a different language.

(lets see if VGC picks up letters from the character map)

I suspect the letter "C" is in fact the letter "ξ" or in capitals "Ξ".... which in English is spelt "xi"

Rath said:
sc94597 said:
Rath said:
sc94597 said:
Q_A_X said:

No, the letter originated from Greek. Q_A_X only said the language. You need to read his post a couple of times over methinks.

Yes , but the basis of the alphabet didn't orginate in england did it?  It is an adaptation of many alphabets such as the latin and the greek's. So we should use the original way to pronounce it if he says that.  

ArtofAngels said:
ssj12 said:
So what your saying for words like say Zebra should be pronounced Zed-e-bra?

You fool.

The letter 'M' for example, pronounced 'Em' right?

Do you pronounce 'Mother' as 'Emother'?

Or 'Brick' as 'Beerick'?

Or 'Cat' as 'Seeat'

Or what about 'Tree'? Is that Teeree to you?

Perhaps you pronounce 'Weekend' as 'Doubleyoueekend'?

BTW, Here in Australia we say 'Zed'.

In America, M is pronounced ihM, not em. FTR.

Zee is my choice, BTW.

It sounds cooler when combined with other things. 

Around the Network
ArtofAngels said:
ArtofAngels said:
That Guy said:
so how to do you guys in the commonwealth sleep?

In america we denote the sleeping sound as "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

In Commonwealth nations, do you say I gotta go catch some Zeds? or do you go "zedzedzedzedzedzed"?

weird.

If I said "Mmmmmmmmm that smells nice" I wouldn't pronounce it as emememememem, infact what you say is like saying we are all supposed to pronounce things with every sound of the letter included, kinda like saying 'Hello' as 'Haycheelelo'.

In fact, I'll build off that, do you say "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" as "Zeezeezeezeezeezeezeezee" as you assume we'd say Zedzedzedzedzedzed....

Surely the point has been taken by now =)

I always interpreted zzzzzzzzzz as a snoring sound...

ZED is gonna get ya!

sc94597 said:

Yes , but the basis of the alphabet didn't orginate in england did it? It is an adaptation of many alphabets such as the latin and the greek's. So we should use the original way to pronounce it if he says that.

BUT Q A X NEVER SAID WHERE THE ALPHABET ORIGINATED!!!

Rath said:
sc94597 said:

Yes , but the basis of the alphabet didn't orginate in england did it? It is an adaptation of many alphabets such as the latin and the greek's. So we should use the original way to pronounce it if he says that.

Lol you seem to be getting angry. I was saying if they do that then they might as well use the first pronouncation for the letter. Just because a different dialect of a language uses Zee and the original dialect uses Zed doesn't mean Zed is automatically more valid. You could say that Zeta is more valid than Zed because it was the original way to pronounce it.

sc94597 said:
Rath said:
sc94597 said:

Lol you seem to be getting angry. I was saying if they do that then they might as well use the first pronouncation for the letter. Just because a different dialect of a language uses Zee and the original dialect uses Zed doesn't mean Zed is automatically more valid. You could say that Zeta is more valid than Zed because it was the original way to pronounce it.

No you couldn't because it's a different language altogether, I don't know how many people have to tell you this before it hits home.