By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you find that when chatting on the internet you throw in Americanisms?

My god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k&feature=related

This person does such a perfect Kiwi accent. It actually blew me away as soon as she started speaking it. Thats exactly what Kiwis sound like - it doesn't sound like an imitation.

Around the Network

Well I'm American and I suppose I do use "Americanisms". I also find myself using words or expressions from other countries or cultures. I generally pick them up from reading/chatting on the net or movies, music, etc. I don't have any hate or fear in this ol' heart o' mine, so I don't have any problem or feel threatened by picking -isms from other cultures.

It's not like I force myself to use them, which is pretty lame when people do that, it's just when you get bombarded by something long enough it sticks.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Hmm.. I'm an American but find myself using British terms like "rubbish" a lot. I'm really fond of your television so I must have picked up a lot of phrases. Like I'll say "how did you get on" rather than "how did you do"

All this talk of kiwis makes me want to go watch Flight of The Concords, love those guys.

Now that's what I'm talking about, can't beat a kiwi accent.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I find I do it all the time, maybe because I am American, idk.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:

You know, because most people on the net seem to be American so you begin to use their mannerisms while typing. For example, I never use the word "like" in real life, however, because Americans tend to use that word a lot I use it too when typing on the net.

Also I've noticed some users not from the USA saying words like "Trash" rubbish or "Pants" trousers, words that are just not used outside the states.

What do you think?

i most certainly do not, i am English and i speak English.