By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - quick easy PS3 question if some one could help

rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
Hehe I'm getting the 20GB (used on eBay) anyway. Wifi means nothing when the router box is literally on the TV cabinet with the Plasma.

You may as well get the 60GB if you can find one. Trust me, you're going to have to replace the HDD on that 20GB, negating any savings.

I installed a few games and had a few demos on my 60GB and it took up 30GB of space.

None of the games with installs interest me yet, and replacing the hard drive is nowhere near the cost of a 60GB on eBay.

20GB PS3 on eBay = $350
120GB SATA HDD on eBay = $75
60GB PS3 on eBay = $600

Wow, 60 giggers are going for $600?

Yikes! Definitely go for the 20. 

Actually now I'm considering the 80GB lol.  I don't like the software emulation as well, but they are going for like $400-$450... surprisingly cheap.

Around the Network

The 80GB's software BC has improved considerably since it first launched. Just look at the compatibility list, and you'll see alot of (paraphrasing) "Issues resolved since firmware version 2.XX"

Honestly, I'm thinking of flipping my 60GB after reading that and getting a 65nm 40Gb with a DualShock.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The sixty gigs are going for far too much on eBay.

There are some closing in on 600 bucks for a console with a MSRP of $500. I mean, full b/c is nice, but not nice enough to get ripped off...

I've heard there is a store around where I live selling new sixty gigs for $350. But I can't recall the name of the store, I think it was a mom-and-pop shop. But I say all that to say, if you look hard enough Naz, you can find some sixty gigs (NEW!!) someplaces.

naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
Hehe I'm getting the 20GB (used on eBay) anyway. Wifi means nothing when the router box is literally on the TV cabinet with the Plasma.

You may as well get the 60GB if you can find one. Trust me, you're going to have to replace the HDD on that 20GB, negating any savings.

I installed a few games and had a few demos on my 60GB and it took up 30GB of space.

None of the games with installs interest me yet, and replacing the hard drive is nowhere near the cost of a 60GB on eBay.

20GB PS3 on eBay = $350
120GB SATA HDD on eBay = $75
60GB PS3 on eBay = $600

Wow, 60 giggers are going for $600?

Yikes! Definitely go for the 20.

Actually now I'm considering the 80GB lol. I don't like the software emulation as well, but they are going for like $400-$450... surprisingly cheap.

I would stick with the 20 GB.  Add that 120GB HDD and you have a 120 GB PS3 with full backwards compatibility for $425 (assuming you get items at prices you listed).

Around the Network
naznatips said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Yeah, I've got a wireless router already (thusly my wii connected to the internet) I just wanted to make sure the PS3 was the same. I don't intend on getting the 20 gig, so I should be good to go. Thanks for the info guys!

Out of curiousity, which one are you going to get? I'm getting the 20GB for the full hardware BC. The software BC still has some issues with some of my favorite games.

Depends on what Skus are available come christmas time :)

I honestly don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new sku or some had been phased out or replaced in six months. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

DMeisterJ said:
The sixty gigs are going for far too much on eBay.

There are some closing in on 600 bucks for a console with a MSRP of $500. I mean, full b/c is nice, but not nice enough to get ripped off...

I've heard there is a store around where I live selling new sixty gigs for $350. But I can't recall the name of the store, I think it was a mom-and-pop shop. But I say all that to say, if you look hard enough Naz, you can find some sixty gigs (NEW!!) someplaces.

Well, it will be about a month before I'm ready to buy it (still paying off credit card debt from last 2 semesters), but I think the 20GB is probably the way to go for me.  I'm slightly concerned about the reliability of a used 20GB from eBay though.

I do know a PS3 is what I want for my last platform this gen though (may buy a 360 at the end when they are budget priced).  I think if you can own a PS3, Wii, and PC you get great exclusive game coverage.