By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you make a non generic FPS?

I for one miss the health bar and think his auto-regen crap has ruined the genre. Hell, you even auto-regenerate in Red Steel. You don't have any magic sci-fi super armor. You're bleeding to death and just... get better after a few seconds.

Around the Network

Yeah Halo is not generic, what Halo did had never been successfully done on HOME CONSOLES before. It doesn't matter what PC did before it, fact of the matter is, you could claim that every space marine FPS is generic since the realise of the original Doom. Heck, by that definition 90% of the industry is generic imitations of a few choice titles at the start with minor sprinkles of differentiation.

Also Riachu, I think you missed the mark when you read stof's post :D

@ rocketpig...yeah well coming in second to half life is like...still pretty good no? :)

Games like Unreal, Quake 3(which didn't even have a story) and Soldier of Fortune could not compare to halo's production, story and campaign mode.

@ The Ghost of RubangB

You obviously never played a multiplayer death match in your life if you miss the health bar.

ITs not anywhere close to the same intensity level with a health bar as you know when you're gonna die and there is nothing you can do about it where in games like halo, you can try to hide and run...and then after 5-10 seconds return fire. Lot less respawn, a lot more intense matches...

I, for one, miss the health bar in some games. Not all of them, but some would be better for it.

Rampaging through Counter-Strike with 1 health remaining and winning a round is one of the greatest feelings in FPS gaming.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

disolitude said:
Why is this thread still listing Halo as generic?

Generic is something that doesn't carve an identity. Halo is more popular than all PC shooters combined...

You people think Generic = not original for some reason.

Besides, Halo was original at the time it came out(2001). It had in depth story better than PC fps shooters at the time, it eliminated the health bar and had vehicle sections unlike any other FPS. Battlefield 1942 and all that came later...

The shield was essentially your health bar, after that it was, oh dear i'm going to die

Didn't goldeneye have a tank level...

Yes

Around the Network

Health bar is a good feature IMO, and I agree with Rocketpig, that made CS great.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

darthdevidem01 said:
Make it CELL-SHADED

There was a cell shaded FPS for the PS2 if i remember...it disappeared without a trace though as far as im aware

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

rocketpig said:
I, for one, miss the health bar in some games. Not all of them, but some would be better for it.

Rampaging through Counter-Strike with 1 health remaining and winning a round is one of the greatest feelings in FPS gaming.

LOL...yeah that awesome when you're going balls out. My personal fave in CS was trying to distract my team players by blockig their view when they turn off team killing :)

But in single player modes too...like in Resistance...the bots in are not smart but there is a lot of gunfire coming your way and if I'm low on health and no helth packs around I have to fight like a pussy..."Oh please dont shoot me till I get to next cover..." I hate that.

That Guy said:
stof said:
If they really want to freshen up the FPS genre, they'll do something new like set one in World War 2.

What are you talking about Stof? they are like dozens of WW2 FPSes.

If you REALLY want to make a fresh FPS game, you should make one where Aliens are invading and you have to fight them off!

No, make it where aliens are invading DURING World War II! Now that's fresh.

BrainBoxLtd said:
That Guy said:
stof said:
If they really want to freshen up the FPS genre, they'll do something new like set one in World War 2.

What are you talking about Stof? they are like dozens of WW2 FPSes.

If you REALLY want to make a fresh FPS game, you should make one where Aliens are invading and you have to fight them off!

No, make it where aliens are invading DURING World War II! Now that's fresh.

No, no, no. Some sort of alternative timeline where world war II never happened.

Yes