By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Some 360 and Wii stats based off MetaCritic.

Yeah and my TV's bigger than yours too. So neener neener neener and junk. 56 inches with no HD content FTW!!!

Around the Network

You know, JaggedSac, it could just as easily be the case that it is the mainstream who has the right idea, and that those who believe what the mainstream likes is "shit" are in fact elitists with unrealistically high standards. I mean, when you think about it, what makes the opinions of the masses any less right than the opinions of a handful when it comes to the value of anything? To those not inducted into that handful, the basic utility of a product matters more than anything else. And why shouldn't it?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
You know, JaggedSac, it could just as easily be the case that it is the mainstream who has the right idea, and that those who believe what the mainstream likes is "shit" are in fact elitists with unrealistically high standards. I mean, when you think about it, what makes the opinions of the masses any less right than the opinions of a handful when it comes to the value of anything? To those not inducted into that handful, the basic utility of a product matters more than anything else. And why shouldn't it?

I agree with your argument. I find it a curse that I hate most movies that come out nowadays because they are utter trash. Enjoyment is relative. But I do like the fact that you called me an elitist.  As much as I love this banter, I am off to bed.

Sky Render said:
Maybe that should tell you something, disolitude. Such as the fact that the Wii's primary appeal is not according to the values of the majority of those people who are reviewing Wii games. I mean, if a product sells well, obviously it's doing something right. Marketing can only get you so far before you have to have a compelling product which authentically holds value to those who buy it.

I can't believe you just made that argument. It's as though you have no idea about how the entertainment industry works. Many of the highest selling albums are rubbish, as are many of the highest grossing movies. Mass success requires appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's why so many of the most popular television shows are relatively stupid, and why many of the highest selling albums are meaningless and mass produced pop music.

I agree that if a produce sells well it is clearly doing something right. Typically it involves successful advertising and mass appeal (typically in the form of a "dumbing down" or appealing to the lowest common denominator). This says nothing of the quality of the product, because consumers don't necessarily respond to quality because of information asymmetries.

In short, the success of many Wii games (and certainly other games on different consoles) will have far more to do with this and far less to do with the quality of the product. To argue otherwise is to discount entertainment trends established over the last hundred years. Sales cannot - and should not - ever be used as a proxy for quality.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

Spoken like a true elitist, Picko.

Riddle me this: if "mass market appeal" and "dumbing it down" is so horrible, then why do products with mass market appeal sell truckloads more than products with "artistic appeal" and "high production values"? Are you saying that a product's success is somehow determined by something besides its value to those who would consume it? And if so, how do you justify such an argument? What logical criteria can you possibly use to explain why a product which makes a tiny fraction of the profits that another product makes is somehow superior to that product that is selling far better?

Around the Network

Incidentally, "quality" is not a valid answer to that question, though you probably think it is. "Quality" is entirely relative to the values of the person observing the product, and thus has no measurable value. If you wish to gauge a product solely upon such criteria, then you are judging by a faulty and unscientific method, which will only serve to justify your own views of the term "quality".

NEWS FLASH: The best-selling console in a generation ALWAYS has the highest ratio of bad games to good games. ALWAYS.

SMS is highly overrated, as much as- say halo 3.

EDIT: this statement is about to attract alot of heat...

I CAN'T WAIT!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

trestres said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
JaggedSac said:
"Wii: 3982-3539-5418-1048 Brawl: 2664-1863-6511 Kart: 1633-5238-8894 Dr. Mario: 1661-1773-3090" - WTF?? LOL!!
WTF LOL to you too, dick.

JaggedSac said:
"If you only count EXCLUSIVES 95 and up, Wii has 1 and 360 has none." - WTF?? LOL!!

It's true.  Didn't you start this thread and look at all the numbers?  Every game at 95 or higher on the 360 is a multiplatform game.  I can play your best games without a 360, but you can't get my delicious exclusive Galaxy.

JaggedSac said:
"360 has nothing like Galaxy, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit." - Galaxy is good, Sports is fecal matter on a stick, and WiiFit is similar to a treadmill.
You don't like the 2 most important games of this generation.  That's fine by me.  It doesn't change the fact that they're unique gaming experiences and can only be played on the Wii.  You're the one prancing around bragging about MetaCritic numbers, but disregarding unique gaming experiences you can't play.  I can play your games.  You can't play mine.

JaggedSac said:
"You've got the most revolutionary platformer GAMEPLAY-WISE of all time, the most revolutionary motion-controlled sports collection of all time, the most revolutionary balance-measuring game controller and exercise program of all time." - Arcades have had these controls for a while now. Perhaps you should categorize that it is revolutionary to console games.
I'm calling bullshit.  Give me examples of arcade games that play like Galaxy, Wii Sports, or Wii Fit.

JaggedSac said:
"the most revolutionary balance-measuring game controller and exercise program of all time" - WTF?? LOL!! LOL!! LOL!!

I have a balance board.  There is no controller in the world like it.  What part of "revolutionary" don't you understand?  About 7 games have been announced for it in under a week.  It's outselling the PS3 and getting a lot of support.

What gives, Dick Sandwich here doesn't like new ideas?  WTF LOL LOL LOL!!!

You owned this man Rubang.

no he didn't.

I'm sorry Sac, I would tear his testamony to peices, but it's 1:30 am where I live and i'm too damn tired. Tommorow, perhasps? 

anyway, rubang and sac are both being kind of irrational, they should kiss and make-up.*

*for comedy purposes insert picture here

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Just goes to show how important reviewers are. 360 has the best reviewed library and it's still selling slower than both of its competitors.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.