By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is Petrol So Expensive in Britain?

tax on petrol is higher than 67p, its well over 70p and it will only go higher, thanks alot environment

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

It is funny that the US is having fits over 4.00 a gallon. Just how would the US operate at UK rates for gas/petrol/go juice?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

It wouldn't. The US is spread out and not dense like most of Europe. If gasoline gets too expensive people won't be able to get around as easily, causing more economic pains than just those felt at the pump...

Solution = lower taxes + more production.

colonelstubbs said:
Well they are saving the environment.

More expensive petrol means less petrol bought, meaning less fumes

No. More expensive petrol means less money for people to spend on other things, meaning less money into other sectors of the economy. Also consider the price of diesel and aviation fuel etc affects the transport costs of our goods which affects prices. People need to use petrol to get to their jobs etc... if the government really cared about "being green" they might actually improve the public transport or tighten emissions regulations. 

Yes

Petrol Rates (Kent Area)

(£)
Unleaded - £1.14-15
Diesel - £1.22-25
Per Litre

For the Americans
($)
Unleaded - $2.26-30
Diesel - $2.43-49
Per Litre

Justice is always Right... Oh wait... that was Wright...

Around the Network
ItalianBoyPhil said:
Petrol Rates (Kent Area)

(£)
Unleaded - £1.14-15
Diesel - £1.22-25
Per Litre

For the Americans
($)
Unleaded - $2.26-30
Diesel - $2.43-49
Per Litre

so...

Unleaded - $2.26-30
Diesel - $2.43-49

* 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

so... 2.26 *  3.78541178 = $8.555 / gal... DAMN! I won't pay THAT much for a gallon...

Peak oil

The UKs production is droping fast

https://www.og.berr.gov.uk/pprs/full_production.htm

luinil said:
ItalianBoyPhil said:
Petrol Rates (Kent Area)

(£)
Unleaded - £1.14-15
Diesel - £1.22-25
Per Litre

For the Americans
($)
Unleaded - $2.26-30
Diesel - $2.43-49
Per Litre

so...

Unleaded - $2.26-30
Diesel - $2.43-49

* 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

so... 2.26 *  3.78541178 = $8.555 / gal... DAMN! I won't pay THAT much for a gallon...

Yep, Thats what I was thinking, so expensive

Justice is always Right... Oh wait... that was Wright...

Everyone who's calling it biased, check the site. It's a blog, not a news site! It's meant to be biased! It's the UK's most-read political blog.

luinil said:
It wouldn't. The US is spread out and not dense like most of Europe. If gasoline gets too expensive people won't be able to get around as easily, causing more economic pains than just those felt at the pump...

Solution = lower taxes + more production.

Yeah.  I live in a suburb where you freaking need to take a car to get to the Bus line.