By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Ninty lose the war if Sony & M$ develop similar or better controller?

I don't think i implied the Wii flopped(also didn't intend to imply the Wii had bad games) but I do not like the idea of all the consoles moving to motion controls (most will but hopefully not in a dominate way as the Wii mote is for the Wii). I simply don't want Sony or M$ to follow in a way that will degrade their current/future traditional games.

Around the Network
jheco05 said:
They could win but then again Nintendo still has Wii Sports. Wii Sports is the secret weapon.

Microsoft got X Sports, Xtreme sports.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

I hope Sony and Microsoft do copy the WiiMote. It will make ports much easier.

macross said:

It looks like Nintendo going to fail by its own. Both of the company Sony and Microsoft focusing(copying) on the controller now. Will Nintendo lose the war because it lacks of support on the other side beside controller? Will Sony and Microsoft regain their market share again?

[...]

This is not the war of HD or SD, this not the war of Next-Gen, This is the War of Controller.

Nope, afterthoughts almost never pay, especially in a case like this, where developers should start to learn making a good use of a new feature, that, what's worst, is optional. Sony and MS are right trying, but they'll gather benefits next gen, not this one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

There is no chance of this working. There won't be enough people who own one of these controllers to justify 3rd parties to make good high budget games that use the motion controls.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Around the Network
Ssyn said:
I don't think i implied the Wii flopped(also didn't intend to imply the Wii had bad games) but I do not like the idea of all the consoles moving to motion controls (most will but hopefully not in a dominate way as the Wii mote is for the Wii). I simply don't want Sony or M$ to follow in a way that will degrade their current/future traditional games.
I know you didn't imply that, but if as you said it has a control style that most people dislike then the Wii would not be the incredible success that it is.  I used the fact that the Wii has not flopped as evidence suggesting that your assertion is incorrect. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
macross said:

It looks like Nintendo going to fail by its own. Both of the company Sony and Microsoft focusing(copying) on the controller now. Will Nintendo lose the war because it lacks of support on the other side beside controller? Will Sony and Microsoft regain their market share again?

[...]

This is not the war of HD or SD, this not the war of Next-Gen, This is the War of Controller.

Nope, afterthoughts almost never pay, especially in a case like this, where developers should start to learn making a good use of a new feature, that, what's worst, is optional. Sony and MS are right trying, but they'll gather benefits next gen, not this one.
The only thing that gives nonstandard controllers any chance of becoming attractive for developers is being attached to a ridiculously successful game that will put it into the hands of a substantial portion of console owners. Wii Fit is such a game. I don't think that Banjo-Kazooie is.

Microsoft might be able to improve their odds by bundling their remote with more than one game or giving some sort of enticements to third parties, but I don't know if they're that determined to get this new controller into the maximum possible amount of 360 homes. As for Sony, I have serious doubts as to whether there is anything behind those rumors. The picture I saw is clearly a joke.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

"If thats so...then please tell me why aren't most wii games we have seen thus far hardcore titles that require accuracy and quick gameplay movements? Or why my little sister throws harder in boom blox by flicking her wrist compared to me who can throw a pretty decent fastball? Accuracy indeed...

I'm sorry but I've played MOH2 and Metroid 3 and while the controls do the job...they are not as good or as accurate as a regular controller due to lack of dual analogs. The whole tilt wii mote to the left if you want to turn left doesn't work for me...

The only game I've played that was better with wiimote was RE4...and that game was godly on the wii. Wiimote + 1 on that one... "

Spot on old chap.

"Wii Fit is such a game. I don't think that Banjo-Kazooie is.  "

I wouldn't call WiiFit a game by any stretch of the imagination.  I would rather have someone take a dump on my face for 10 minutes. 

Ssyn said:
Viper1 said:
This is further validates Wii as competition, a trend setter and as a software development platform.

MS/Sony seem to want to dilute and unfocus their market by going "metoo" which tells developers that motion controls are apparently what everybody wants.

Which is terrible because I and I'm dead postive alot more poeple prefer normal controllers to a TV remote you swing around like a moron.

And I think a lot more people are tired of bashing buttons like a moron.   See how that works?

JaggedSac said:

"If thats so...then please tell me why aren't most wii games we have seen thus far hardcore titles that require accuracy and quick gameplay movements? Or why my little sister throws harder in boom blox by flicking her wrist compared to me who can throw a pretty decent fastball? Accuracy indeed...

I'm sorry but I've played MOH2 and Metroid 3 and while the controls do the job...they are not as good or as accurate as a regular controller due to lack of dual analogs. The whole tilt wii mote to the left if you want to turn left doesn't work for me...

The only game I've played that was better with wiimote was RE4...and that game was godly on the wii. Wiimote + 1 on that one... "

Spot on old chap.

I wouldn't call WiiFit a game by any stretch of the imagination.  I would rather have someone take a dump on my face for 10 minutes. 

Such hostility and animosity towards a game.  Yes, a "game".   Does it threaten you?  Does your testosterone charged masculine ego cringe at the idea of an exercise game that can be fun and beneficial?   Does your elitist Id want to hide in the darkest recesses of cognition to avoid its presence in your niche blood bathed Mature rated video game escape?

Why is Wii so abtruse to so many gamers?  Why do they feel so threatened they resort to hyperbole and insults to demonstrate their disdain?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Ssyn said:
Viper1 said:
This is further validates Wii as competition, a trend setter and as a software development platform.

MS/Sony seem to want to dilute and unfocus their market by going "metoo" which tells developers that motion controls are apparently what everybody wants.
  Which is terrible because I and I'm dead postive alot more poeple prefer normal controllers to a TV remote you swing around like a moron.

And I think a lot more people are tired of bashing buttons like a moron.   See how that works?

JaggedSac said:

Spot on old chap.

Such hostility and animosity towards a game.  Yes, a "game".   Does it threaten you?  Does your testosterone charged masculine ego cringe at the idea of an exercise game that can be fun and beneficial?   Does your elitist Id want to hide in the darkest recesses of cognition to avoid its presence in your niche blood bathed Mature rated video game escape?

Why is Wii so abtruse to so many gamers?  Why do they feel so threatened they resort to hyperbole and insults to demonstrate their disdain?

I would call my Encyclopedia Britanica cd a game to avoid having someone take a dump on my face for 10 minutes. You're harder than me, I salute you!!

Tease.