By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What was Microsoft thinking when it got into videogames?

Without reading the essay ( sorry ) I think MS's main aim was to diversify their product portfolio enabling them to compensate for the increasing competetivness they are facing in the main market Software firefox(which i'm using),apple,linux,open office etc.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Umm I will say this I have an uncle who works in Microsoft's seattle facility. he told me why Microsoft entered the console industry. He stated it was because Sony was eyeing making themselves an OS and making PlayStation into a home computer brand. As PS3 is more like a computer then the last console and Sony is increasingly eyeing the computer industry for its future.

Microsoft had a three phase plan in terminating Sony. Entering the industry with the X-Box , using the second console to break Sony's grip on the industry and using the third console to decimate and remove Sony as a potential threat.

Thank you JoeCool. This is what I and many others have been saying, repeatedly, for years. It is what some people just refuse to accept when they see MS losing money on their machines. They aren't in this for the gaming. Really, they don't give a damn about the gaming except as a stepping stone towards a bigger goal, and they are willing to drop billions of dollars over a 10-20 year period to meet their goal.

MS never thought they could waltz in and beat out the competition - they may have even been slightly surprised at beating out the GameCube. The gaming industry has never supported 3 successful consoles at the same time, and new comers would only succeed when there was some vacuum left behind (the 80s collapse for Nintendo and Sega, Sega's collapse for Sony). Many analysts and gamers were willing to write off the XBox before it launched.