By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Lay person here in need of help with drivers for PC

I've successfully installed my new video card and everything is working fine, except the sound. My computer list the problem as "a bad sound driver". This could be due in part to the software for my previous video card rooted itself in multiple applications and thus some extraneous application could have been removed.

What ever the cause or chain of circumstances leading up to this dillemma, the missing applications are:

"Ethernet Controller" and "Multimedia Audio Controller"

I no longer have that video card in my system nor the start up disc for it that would have that software (bought my PC from a friend who built it).

I need help figuring out what I need and where I can find it for download. I used to have a program which could scan your computer and list all of its internal components, but can no longer find it. Anyone willing to help out a clueless dolt?

Around the Network

Edit: Whoops, didn't read clearly. If you need a new audio driver, you probably have Realtek. You can verify that by checking the device manager in the sound area. google audio driver and it'll send you to their website where you can update the lastest driver.

If you open it in device manager and click on the details tab, then check the hardware ids in the drop down box, you should see a line like this(my X-Fi):

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_00231102&REV_00

I've bolded the bits you actually need, so make a note of them and pop over to:
www.pcidatabase.com
and search by device, 0005 in my case, and scroll down the list until you find a matching Vendor ID(1102 for Creative).

You should now know what sound card drivers to google for.

You can also use http://www.driveragent.com/ which can help to find some drivers for you.

How did you get on with your hunt for drivers.