By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has there been any indication of a slimline PS3 coming soon?

I'm just wondering why there are predictions by several people along the lines of "Slimline PS3 in 09" or "Sony will announce slimline PS3 at E3 this year".

For the original Playstation the PSOne came out well over five years later. (12/94 - 07/00) 

For the Playstation 2 the slimline model came out over four years later. (03/00* - 11/04) 

It takes years for the technology to improve to the point that the components can be bought cheaper and packaged into a smaller model without sacrificing hardware quality.  Since the Playstation 3 was released in 11/06 we shouldn't expect it till 2010 at least.  Did I miss some announcement where they said they were working on a slimline and hoping to get it out soon?

*Japanese release was March, the rest came in October/November of that year.

Around the Network

nothing from anybody with any credibility or reliability.

It'll be quite a few more years before Sony manage to shrink everything enough.

As far as I know, they're just rumors, and we all know how fast rumors like these spread. I doubt a slim PS3 is coming anytime soon.

too early ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
azrm2k said:

I'm just wondering why there are predictions by several people along the lines of "Slimline PS3 in 09" or "Sony will announce slimline PS3 at E3 this year".

Answer -> makes you read the articles.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Shameless said:
It'll be quite a few more years before Sony manage to shrink everything enough.
Huh??? I have seen a board for the 40G version right in front of me. Even _I_ could design a shrink of 50%, so I'm sure Sony engineers have several layouts ready. However, what does it mean to produce a different size PS3 now? -new press forms for the caseing -new thermal design - new press forms for the thermal stuff -new assembly line(s) for the new model - new stuff for things I didn't think of yet. All this costs _a lot_ of money, and as long as the PS3 sells at reasonable rates, there is absolutely no reason to change designs..