By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the biggest scam in the gaming industry?

haxxiy said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Those were CD-Rs and DVD-Rs being written to. Not professionally stamped disks.

We know how many copies of certain games sold and there are mathematical ways to get accurate population estimates without having to count every last game. Conservationists use these methods to estimate wildlife numbers. If only a small fraction of Super Mario Bros. for example had survived the game wouldn't be readily available in every game shop on earth in hilarious overstock numbers.

Physical has been proven to keep games around for over 100 years and I don't need a company to keep my collection in good shape. The emulation and piracy community has done little so far to save critically acclaimed games. Name an important, critically acclaimed game that was saved by emulation or piracy. I don't care if Barbie Horse Adventures can't be played in 20 more years. Software emulators can easily offer up an incomplete and inaccurate experience, for those too lazy to do due diligence. Roms from piracy sites are frequently incorrect. People who haven't touched physical hardware in decades like to claim that all emulators are accurate but they simply don't have a reference point. They also don't bother to do stringent testing.

Don't get me wrong. Many emulators are great and work just fine. Especially when using crt-royale. But to claim that software emulation is some sort of panacea for game preservation is misguided. Dreamcast emulation has miles yet to go. Nintendo DS has a specific pixel density that computer emulators get wrong. 3DS can't get the 3D aspect correct on an emulator. The touch aspects of DS and 3DS games are poor or non-existent on emulators. Vetrex games look and feel entirely different on actual hardware due to using an oscilloscope.

A small fraction of Super Mario Bros. can still be millions of units considering how well that game sold. Hardly proof of anything.

Physical will only be 'proven' to last anything when they get there. After all, no durability study can properly encompass what happens with time given the myriad forms that phase transition and degradation can take place in these materials.

And it seems a bit disingenuous to think there will be readily available replacement parts for actual console hardware 50-100 years from now but emulation will still be largely feature-incomplete.

We can emulate 4th-generation consoles and earlier with literal 100% accuracy nowadays. In time the same will be true for more recent hardware. Meanwhile, things like CRT and Betamax already have to contend with a shrinking pool of replacement parts since no new ones are being produced less than 20 years after being discontinued. Imagine that for more obscure or niche console tech a thousand times over.

SMB sold 40 million copies on the NES and is considered a staple of the system. Most game shops can fill a medium-sized cardboard box with their overstock copies. Pokemon on the other hand sold collectively hundreds of millions of units over several systems. Most game shops can hardly keep a single copy in stock. If there's some supposed rapid failure of NES games how is it that a game that is 30 years older and sold less is more readily available?

Yeah, and nobody is guilty of murder without video evidence too right?

Replacement parts for older consoles/tech is already a large cottage industry. There are parts and options out there that ten years ago I would have scoffed at ever existing. A good example are brand new RGB input cards for PVM and BVM monitors.

I agree that 4th gen and before emulation is very accurate when done right. But 4th gen and earlier hardware is also incredibly resilient so emulators for those consoles are not yet needed for preservation. And when it comes to actual preservation it will be hardware FPGA, not software emulators that will be used in the future.

CRTS from the 60's are still running when well taken care of. You really can't get more obscure or niche than that. And many niche consoles like PC-Engine do have new replacement parts and mods coming out for them.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 26 August 2024

Around the Network
firebush03 said:

No new F-Zero, Star Fox, nor Earthbound on Nintendo Switch.

Ito didn't want to make another Mother and live his life outside of game development. Nintendo has respected his decision. However, I'd agree it sucks NOA refuses to localize Mother 3. Port EBB and EB to Switch on Eshop/NSO.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kickstarter's Mighty No. 9 was a scam