By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

DonFerrari said:
the-pi-guy said:

Spoiler!

Seems to be concern about Activision, Sony seems to think they need to expand (I would agree, but it doesn't seem like Sony Group parent really agrees?) Could be an interesting future though.

Insomniac seems to be a little concerned about a post-Marvel future; which seems to be coming up in about 7 years. Multiple new IPs planned.

That was confirmed to be fake slides.

It's real.

An Era member posted where it came from:

Screenshot of the entire presentation

directory

Around the Network
hinch said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I wouldn’t bet on that. Miles Morales peaked at 13K players on Steam and has sold 450K copies in total on Steam whereas Rift Apart peaked at 8K players. And the game dropped off on Steam’s top sellers after the first week. It doesn’t look like it moved the needle much on PC. Hopefully it at least broke even. It was a fantastic game.

i don’t mind the occasional Marvel or even licensed IP in general as it’s nice to change things up from time to time, but if that’s mostly all you’re working on, I’ll get tired of it after a few releases. I was hoping a Sunset Overdrive 2 was going to happen at some point. The game was such a breath of fresh air with so much potential on a sequel. 

I am interested in an X-Men game to see how many characters Insomniac can squeeze in there the likes we haven’t seen in gaming before. That’s a long way off though.

I mean if we consider that Steam takes 30% cut. Thats $42 profit from a $60 game they'd only need 200K in sales to break even (atm they are 8M down on Rift Apart). So its not far fetched to see sales estimates that could and would take it over.

If you look at the sales of the games that did well you can see why Sony went the Marvel route. It prints money, at least SM does.

There's actual figures for Sunset Overdrive and it would've no doubt lost money for Microsoft. The sales barely covered development cost for the game. So a sequel to that game isn't going happen. Personally I still like Marvel games and franchises as a whole but not the films or shows. And a lot of people still do if we look at how popular SM is.

Yeah, everything you described is the big problem with modern gaming unfortunately. Less creative risk taking and more "safe" which I can't blame Sony for. Like you said, Marvel games print money. 

At least I know Insomniac will have much higher quality with their games than other franchises that are popular and print money like CoD. If R&C can take a loss, Sony can at least greenlight a Sunset Overdrive 2 with a smaller budget. 

Seeing Spider-Man 2 have a budget over $300 million is insane! A Sunset Overdrive 2 wouldn't need to have anything that large. Doesn't matter. We know it's not in the cards. 

EDIT: Apparently Insomniac only made $567 from Sunset Overdrive? That's unfortunate for such a great game, but even that is better than an $8 million loss. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 19 December 2023

rapsuperstar31 said:

Interesting that Insomniac's online multiplayer Spiderman the Great Web game like Naughty Dogs' Last of Us Online was cancelled. I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan was forced out, due to his failed mulitplayer roadmap he was forcing on studios.

Games get cancelled all the time. Insomniac also has multiple single player games that may have gotten shelved.

Former PlayStation Boss Says They 'Cancel So Many Games'

> While he might not be running the ship anymore, he’s still involved with video game development at Sony and its studios. And as part of the process, Yoshida says a lot of game projects get canned before seeing the light of day.

>“We do a prototype, we evaluate, we decide whether to spend more time and resources, or we just stop,” Yoshida said. “We cancel so many games.”

That is the reality of the industry. 

Jim Ryan did not give 6 month notice and get a party thrown in his honor because he did a terrible job. PlayStation is arguably in one of their strongest positions ever, despite some of the strongest opposition and largest setbacks ever in their history.

the-pi-guy said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Interesting that Insomniac's online multiplayer Spiderman the Great Web game like Naughty Dogs' Last of Us Online was cancelled. I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan was forced out, due to his failed mulitplayer roadmap he was forcing on studios.

Games get cancelled all the time. Insomniac also has multiple single player games that may have gotten shelved.

Former PlayStation Boss Says They 'Cancel So Many Games'

> While he might not be running the ship anymore, he’s still involved with video game development at Sony and its studios. And as part of the process, Yoshida says a lot of game projects get canned before seeing the light of day.

>“We do a prototype, we evaluate, we decide whether to spend more time and resources, or we just stop,” Yoshida said. “We cancel so many games.”

That is the reality of the industry. 

Jim Ryan did not give 6 month notice and get a party thrown in his honor because he did a terrible job. PlayStation is arguably in one of their strongest positions ever, despite some of the strongest opposition and largest setbacks ever in their history.

Happens in business all the time, when I sold my company a few years back they signed our at the time president to a 1 year contract, but when he didn't like the direction the company was going they told him we'll keep paying you for the length of your contract but you can go home.  You are still listed as the president of the company but you no longer really work here.

rapsuperstar31 said:

Happens in business all the time, when I sold my company a few years back they signed our at the time president to a 1 year contract, but when he didn't like the direction the company was going they told him we'll keep paying you for the length of your contract but you can go home.  You are still listed as the president of the company but you no longer really work here.

Sure if you ignore all the evidence to the contrary.

They literally posted pictures of Jim Ryan signing new deals with NCSoft two weeks ago, but sure he's not really doing his job.  

Around the Network

For those wondering, I will only be writing articles on the leaked sales data. I will not be posting information on Wolverine in any article.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

the-pi-guy said:
DonFerrari said:

That was confirmed to be fake slides.

It's real.

An Era member posted where it came from:

Screenshot of the entire presentation

directory

Interesting, on twitter was circling a print of the discord channel where the leak started and confirmed that the slide of Insomniac analyzing Sony risk and concern was fake and that the watermarks were poorly done.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

G2ThaUNiT said:
hinch said:

I mean if we consider that Steam takes 30% cut. Thats $42 profit from a $60 game they'd only need 200K in sales to break even (atm they are 8M down on Rift Apart). So its not far fetched to see sales estimates that could and would take it over.

If you look at the sales of the games that did well you can see why Sony went the Marvel route. It prints money, at least SM does.

There's actual figures for Sunset Overdrive and it would've no doubt lost money for Microsoft. The sales barely covered development cost for the game. So a sequel to that game isn't going happen. Personally I still like Marvel games and franchises as a whole but not the films or shows. And a lot of people still do if we look at how popular SM is.

Yeah, everything you described is the big problem with modern gaming unfortunately. Less creative risk taking and more "safe" which I can't blame Sony for. Like you said, Marvel games print money. 

At least I know Insomniac will have much higher quality with their games than other franchises that are popular and print money like CoD. If R&C can take a loss, Sony can at least greenlight a Sunset Overdrive 2 with a smaller budget. 

Seeing Spider-Man 2 have a budget over $300 million is insane! A Sunset Overdrive 2 wouldn't need to have anything that large. Doesn't matter. We know it's not in the cards. 

EDIT: Apparently Insomniac only made $567 from Sunset Overdrive? That's unfortunate for such a great game, but even that is better than an $8 million loss. 

I think you are mixing the money paid for Insomniac for the royalties etc with the money made by the title for the publisher.

On the table where Sunset Overdrive had a 567 of IG share, there isn't any negative number (at most there are 0), the losses aren't absorbed on the developer but on publisher (Playstation now).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I think you are mixing the money paid for Insomniac for the royalties etc with the money made by the title for the publisher.

On the table where Sunset Overdrive had a 567 of IG share, there isn't any negative number (at most there are 0), the losses aren't absorbed on the developer but on publisher (Playstation now).

Yeah I definitely got that mixed up I don't think there has been any info on the losses, if any, Sunset Overdrive incurred, but only MS would have that info. 

It's no wonder why Sony and Insomniac are so set on Marvel properties. 

Rif Apart is the only game I finished in that series. Liked it a lot. Sad.

I've been playing Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. This is the Jet Set Radio Future sequel I have wanted for 20 years. I know it would not run on a Dreamcast but it feels like the lost DC sequel. OST is solid but no candle to JSRF. God I love even the menus have that 2000s look. Absolute GOTY. It take it's inspiration but improves mechanics and movement plus wider spaces. Exactly what I wanted.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!