By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

G2ThaUNiT said:

I’m saddened to see Insomniac being relegated to being a Marvel studio, but hard to blame them when it seems Rift Apart failed to break even.

At least we’ll eventually get a new release of the franchise. Shows 2029, but a lot can change in 6 years.

I'm not if they do good releases (there is SM, Wolverine, X-Men - each of the 3 will likely play differently based on the chars... plus a new IP and R&C).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:

I’m saddened to see Insomniac being relegated to being a Marvel studio, but hard to blame them when it seems Rift Apart failed to break even.

At least we’ll eventually get a new release of the franchise. Shows 2029, but a lot can change in 6 years.

Hopefully Insomniac use the time to really push Ratchet to greater heights, or really they need to be looking into creating a new IP.

G2ThaUNiT said:

That's without the PC port in consideration. If we go by the PC port they're probably breaking even for the game and looking to be profitable in the future. I'd say its probably why the franchise is taking the back seat for a few years. Especially with how well the Spider-Man games are selling and decent ROI.

They've basically turned into a Marvel factory which for me is fine as I like the franchise still (just not the movies/shows). But a few I guess don't like that or have franchise fatigue.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 December 2023

Spoiler!

Seems to be concern about Activision, Sony seems to think they need to expand (I would agree, but it doesn't seem like Sony Group parent really agrees?) Could be an interesting future though.

Insomniac seems to be a little concerned about a post-Marvel future; which seems to be coming up in about 7 years. Multiple new IPs planned.

the-pi-guy said:

Spoiler!

Seems to be concern about Activision, Sony seems to think they need to expand (I would agree, but it doesn't seem like Sony Group parent really agrees?) Could be an interesting future though.

Insomniac seems to be a little concerned about a post-Marvel future; which seems to be coming up in about 7 years. Multiple new IPs planned.

Insomniac leak info about sales, licensing date/deal and a future scheduled title:

Spoiler!

Their best selling game in the PS3 generation was 3.8m. Then Spider-Man comes along and they hit 20m in it's first 2 years on PS4. Insomniac's marvel titles are vastly outselling anything they've done before so that would be reason to be concerned as they've no doubt increased their size and need to keep supporting that. But Sony have an exclusive X-Men license until 2035 and they are planning to release at least 3 with a provisional 4th title so it's going to be a while before Insomniac don't have a Marvel IP available to them. Hopefully their new IP in 2031 is successful.

Around the Network
hinch said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

That's without the PC port in consideration. If we go by the PC port they're probably breaking even for the game and maybe profitable in the future. I'd say its probably why the franchise is taking the back seat for a few years. Especially with how well the Spider-Man games are selling and decent ROI.

They've basically turned into a Marvel factory which for me is fine as I like the franchise still (just not the movies/shows). But a few I guess don't like that or have franchise fatigue.

I wouldn’t bet on that. Miles Morales peaked at 13K players on Steam and has sold 450K copies in total on Steam whereas Rift Apart peaked at 8K players. And the game dropped off on Steam’s top sellers after the first week. It doesn’t look like it moved the needle much on PC. Hopefully it at least broke even. It was a fantastic game.

i don’t mind the occasional Marvel or even licensed IP in general as it’s nice to change things up from time to time, but if that’s mostly all you’re working on, I’ll get tired of it after a few releases. I was hoping a Sunset Overdrive 2 was going to happen at some point. The game was such a breath of fresh air with so much potential on a sequel. 

I am interested in an X-Men game to see how many characters Insomniac can squeeze in there the likes we haven’t seen in gaming before. That’s a long way off though.

Still feel terrible for Insomniac. All these massive surprises they had in store for their fans, all spoiled, and RIGHT before everyone was about to go on vacation for the holidays.

G2ThaUNiT said:

I wouldn’t bet on that. Miles Morales peaked at 13K players on Steam and has sold 450K copies in total on Steam whereas Rift Apart peaked at 8K players. And the game dropped off on Steam’s top sellers after the first week. It doesn’t look like it moved the needle much on PC. Hopefully it at least broke even. It was a fantastic game.

i don’t mind the occasional Marvel or even licensed IP in general as it’s nice to change things up from time to time, but if that’s mostly all you’re working on, I’ll get tired of it after a few releases. I was hoping a Sunset Overdrive 2 was going to happen at some point. The game was such a breath of fresh air with so much potential on a sequel. 

I am interested in an X-Men game to see how many characters Insomniac can squeeze in there the likes we haven’t seen in gaming before. That’s a long way off though.

I mean if we consider that Steam takes 30% cut. Thats $42 profit from a $60 game they'd only need 200K in sales to break even (atm they are 8M down on Rift Apart). So its not far fetched to see sales estimates that could and would take it over.

If you look at the sales of the games that did well you can see why Sony went the Marvel route. It prints money, at least SM does.

There's actual figures for Sunset Overdrive and it would've no doubt lost money for Microsoft. The sales barely covered development cost for the game. So a sequel to that game isn't going happen. Personally I still like Marvel games and franchises as a whole but not the films or shows. And a lot of people still do if we look at how popular SM is.

the-pi-guy said:

Spoiler!

That was confirmed to be fake slides.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Interesting that Insomniac's online multiplayer Spiderman the Great Web game like Naughty Dogs' Last of Us Online was cancelled. I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan was forced out, due to his failed mulitplayer roadmap he was forcing on studios.