By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

gtotheunit91 said:

What a drop off in revenue! I knew Lightfall was poorly received, but I didn't think it was that bad. And The Final Shape was getting good but not great feedback either. So much for Destiny being a continuous gold mine for Sony. There's no way Marathon can get anywhere near as big as Destiny does because Destiny reaches a wide variety of players. 

I think that's a bit premature to say. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
gtotheunit91 said:

What a drop off in revenue! I knew Lightfall was poorly received, but I didn't think it was that bad. And The Final Shape was getting good but not great feedback either. So much for Destiny being a continuous gold mine for Sony. There's no way Marathon can get anywhere near as big as Destiny does because Destiny reaches a wide variety of players. 

I think that's a bit premature to say. 

It certainly could be, but it's difficult to currently think otherwise when you consider what Destiny is vs what this reboot of Marathon is going to be. 

Destiny is a combination of MMO, PVP, PVE, and PVPVE that has story campaigns alongside extensive endgame content with Raids and Dungeons. But most of all, appeals to a very broad variety of gamers. You have hardcore PVP players that never touch PVE, and vice versa. 

Rebooted Marathon is going to be a PVP only Extraction Shooter. 

Extraction shooters while they have been getting relatively popular, the biggest ones would be Hunt: Showdown and Escape from Tarkov. Which while popular, don't blow up the player charts. Marathon will most likely be the biggest Extraction Shooter in that respective market, because it is still Bungie after all, I just highly doubt it can have the reach that Destiny has. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 31 October 2023

Bungie missing their revenue projections by 45% is ridiculous.

Its not as alarming as revenue dropping by nearly half year over year though, which I originally thought was the case, meaning Destiny 2 is still likely to be profitable for the FY.

PotentHerbs said:

Its not as alarming as revenue dropping by nearly half year over year though, which I originally thought was the case, meaning Destiny 2 is still likely to be profitable for the FY.

If it would end up in loss of 50% of revenue and turn into big loss the cuts would be much bigger than 8% I would say. It is most likely to keep the cashflow as close to forecast and "promissed" to the market.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:

Why is it ridicious? Do some thinking. What was Bungie doing last year? Selling itself to Sony. And what to you do when you sell yourself? You paint rosy pictures of high revenue for upcoming years. So if their revenue projections were sky high so they can fetch that 3.6billion acquisition, it is not surprising at all they are short 45% right now. 

They need to trim fat. They axed 100 people, and that's just 8% of their workforce. It means they have a workforce of 1250 people. That is wayyyyyyyyy too much for a developer who's only working on maintaining Destiny 2 and Marathon. 

Around the Network

Drakrami said:
PotentHerbs said:

Why is it ridicious? Do some thinking. What was Bungie doing last year? Selling itself to Sony. And what to you do when you sell yourself? You paint rosy pictures of high revenue for upcoming years. So if their revenue projections were sky high so they can fetch that 3.6billion acquisition, it is not surprising at all they are short 45% right now. 

They need to trim fat. They axed 100 people, and that's just 8% of their workforce. It means they have a workforce of 1250 people. That is wayyyyyyyyy too much for a developer who's only working on maintaining Destiny 2 and Marathon. 

Sony would sue Bungie's leadership if there was any proof that their expectations were unreasonable or if they were cooking the books.

gtotheunit91 said:
twintail said:

A couple bad reviews from a studio with 250+ employees is not that concerning tbqh

Did you not read the reviews? One of them said the studio has lost over 100 employees since the Sony buyout. 

I mean, has that been officially confirmed anywhere? Maybe it is. 

I'm just not sold on anonymous reviews. 

the-pi-guy said:
twintail said:

A couple bad reviews from a studio with 250+ employees is not that concerning tbqh

I would say the content is more the issue.

There's about 10 bad reviews that the Era poster shared that were talking about a lot of the same issues. 

It sounds like the people who helmed Firesprite immediately left, and terrible people replaced them. 

A few of the reviews sound pretty clear that it isn't "Sony" causing them issues. But rather Firesprite leadership/HR is causing issues. The teams are siloed, lacking experience, and Firesprite leadership doesn't want to be receptive.

They've already cancelled one of their projects, and it doesn't sound like there's a lot of faith in the others. A lot of people have left for other studios. 

Not intending to doompost, just sharing concerns. 

Sure, and that's fair.

Hopefully its not a cause for concern. We won't know until more info comes out. 

rapsuperstar31 said:
Drakrami said:

Sony would sue Bungie's leadership if there was any proof that their expectations were unreasonable or if they were cooking the books.

Not to forget they increased the team count by a big margin before this cut (and yes those new hires should be the ones fired)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Drakrami said:

@underlined, they're still working on other games. Matter is another IP they've had listing for. There have been other incubation projects besides.

Bungie definitely was not cooking their books.

The reality is probably a combination of:
- relatively disappointing expansion

- reversal of the Covid boosts

- some waning of live service games (even Fortnite has stumbled, Epic laid off a lot of people.)