By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

It just feels fucking cruel, evil.

If they divested I wouldn't even be this mad.

How much are they saving by closing instead of divesting?

Give them a fucking chance at least, if it doesn't work out then fine but at least they had that chance.

I suppose they did but it didn't work out.

Toys for Bob was successfully spinned off but that's only because someone was willing to take ownership and fund/obtain funds for the studios to remain in operation. 
Here I don't believe anyone's at Tango had the combination of capacity and willingness to do so unfortunately.

Around the Network

I have a massive backlog I can focus on now.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I still can't believe the fate of Tango was decided just a month and a half after going multiplat.

G2ThaUNiT said:

I still can't believe the fate of Tango was decided just a month and a half after going multiplat.

Without even Switch, Lol.

And I keep saying but it would have made a perfect animated TV Show, could have boosted its sales.

You don't kill a franchise because it doesn't sell 10m on the first entry FFS.

God I really really really hope that the acquired-XGS have a clause in their acquisition that Microsoft can't do major layoffs on them or something cause I do find it a bit odd that none of them have been hit by layoffs meanwhile ABK and Zenimax have both been battered. We've had 3 layoffs now and they weren't impacted in any, knock on wood, maybe hopium because I'm now terrified for Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Compulsion.

Around the Network

Another thing, Tango released Ghostwire too, they were multi-team who released two games close together, even if both underperformed that has to be better than Austin who took years to release one game which bombed, I'm not really counting Lyon as part of Austin since they've been split for years so I assume they're also split operationality and financially.

Tango's closure is just so stupid and it feels awful to say but I think they could have got away with it if it was only Arkane Austin.

Could have either just merged Austin back into Lyon or still shut them down but moved the majority of developers into other studios based in Austin, it isn't like Austin was even a big studio, ~150 and Microsoft has multiple studios in Austin; Bethesda Game Studios Austin!!! Are you telling me that BGS doesn't need the extra developers? Most developers at Arkane Austin are MP focused now, hello?! Fallout 76! Developed by BGS Austin! Or they could work remotely for Bethesda Game Studios Dallas, still in Texas, or ID Software in Richardson, Texas.

Infinity Ward has a studio in Austin too.

Keep Tango Gameworks alive and do the above and most people would have took the news much better even if Arkane Austin was shutdown. They would be like "That fucking sucks but understandable and at least Arkane is still alive in Lyon"

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 May 2024

Mikami is probably pissed off as well.

I've got a new video up going over the closures. Very depressing news in gaming lately. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I really hope Phil or Sarah takes the stage at a conference (which is the next? SGF?) and get boo'ed at like crazy. Make them feeeeeeel!