By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
the-pi-guy said:

Porting didn't hurt any of these games. I think porting has been very positive for Minecraft, Sea of Thieves. Porting has benefitted the Age of Empires community on Xbox. 

Yeah, plenty of Xbox games been huge successes on PC, Sea of Thieves would probably have half the amount of players it has now, Age of Empires and Flight Simulator would be dead without PC, other titles have had big successes on PC. Can't just say "Halo Infinite failed" and use that to say PC porting has been bad, Lol.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Larian ran into some kind of issue when porting. It sounds like a skill issue on their part considering MS had to get some of their staff to help port, they didn't seem to have any trouble porting it to PS5. 

Well to be fair PS4 was also delayed but only for a short time.   My point, porting is not hard but certainly not easy. At best it just cost money, at worst it will cost time..

Neither of those are issues to Microsoft and neither of those affect game development of original projects, Lol.

You are changing the original argument which was "OMG A SEA OF THIEVES PORT WILL DELAY EVERWILD"

VersusEvil said:

Microsoft have pretty much nailed releasing premium feeling hardware so a Series Y Handheld could be pretty great. But just like the Switch, playing games on handheld isn’t a reason to buy one over the actual library. It’s going to have to have games I can’t play on another device and are actually good for me to even consider it.

I'd make an argument that part of the reason Switch is so successful is because of the uniqueness of its device, whenever Nintendo has tried to battle PlayStation with traditional consoles, they've usually been far behind, but they whip out something with a USP like the Wii or the Switch and their sales explode, sometimes the USP fails like with Wii U.

Xbox definitely won't come close to that though, nobody will, Switch has that handheld market locked down, but not being #1 doesn't mean not being successful, SteamDeck ain't sold that much but Valve will be making a SteamDeck 2. Having said that, I do think there's a market for a Windows handheld device, which has access to both Xbox Game Pass and Steam.

For me, I actually came close to buying a ROG Ally but with these Xbox handheld rumours, I'm going to wait for those first and then see what they're doing. Would actually love to play some Xbox IP on a handheld on my Xbox profile on Game Pass, things I can't get on Switch and even if Xbox went fully multiplatform, I ain't waiting for months-years of timed exclusivity, I'm too impatient.

I would love to be able to access my library across Xbox, PC, Handheld.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 February 2024

konnichiwa said:

You say porting has been positive for Minecraft....Sales sure but at the same time we have people complain in this thread that some updates like the 4K/Ray tracing did not come to Xbox series because of other platforms?

Sea of thieves was available day one for pc.....

Age of empires, those games did not really benefit xbox gamers considering they were released on PC first and then Xbox later.  

Age of Empires is still a port. It wouldn't exist without PC, and it wouldn't exist on Xbox without getting ported.

Sea of Thieves is still a port, even if it was day 1. Tomb Raider in 2013, was developed by Crystal Dynamics, ported by Nixxes, to platforms all for release day.  

4K was added to Minecraft. 

NobleTeam360 said:

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind when I was typing my previous post. MS could just make the Xbox handheld its own thing that has its own games. Would be a bit of a gamble compared to just making something that acts like a companion to the Xbox console hardware though.

Think that would be DOA, Lol.

It either needs access to the Xbox Store or access to Windows.

Gives people instant collection of games available to them.

I think they should just do Xbox Handheld (Replacing Series S) and a High End Console for the future.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
konnichiwa said:

Well to be fair PS4 was also delayed but only for a short time.   My point, porting is not hard but certainly not easy. At best it just cost money, at worst it will cost time..

Neither of those are issues to Microsoft and neither of those affect game development of original projects, Lol.

You are changing the original argument which was "OMG A SEA OF THIEVES PORT WILL DELAY EVERWILD"

Again, I said 1 or 2:

1 Would you prefer Rare delays Everwild with 3 months or more so they can make a port of SoT for other platforms or do you prefer to not delay Everwild.

2 Would you prefer MS gave People can Fly 30 million $ to port games like Gears to other platforms or would you prefer MS gave that money to make a game for Xbox?

I was clearly giving examples, you are turning it into  'Oh my god konnichiwa said Everwild will be delayed because Sot port to other consoles'  Using an example does not mean it will happen.

But somebody will do the ports and yes I prefer MS spend money or time to make games for Xbox than spending it on ports to other platforms. 

konnichiwa said:
Ryuu96 said:

Again, I said 1 or 2:

1 Would you prefer Rare delays Everwild with 3 months or more so they can make a port of SoT for other platforms or do you prefer to not delay Everwild.

2 Would you prefer MS gave People can Fly 30 million $ to port games like Gears to other platforms or would you prefer MS gave that money to make a game for Xbox?

I was clearly giving examples, you are turning it into  'Oh my god konnichiwa said Everwild will be delayed because Sot port to other consoles'  Using an example does not mean it will happen.

But somebody will do the ports and yes I prefer MS spend money or time to make games for Xbox than spending it on ports to other platforms. 

I'm going to let you in on a little secret...Are you ready for this? It's shocking.

They can do both.

And they are doing both.

Also, People Can Fly is a funny example, since they are making a game for Xbox, Lol.

Btw the Surface team have been involved with Xbox hardware since Xbox One S.

I always knew they were involved but I mentioned it the other day and couldn't remember when I heard it, Jez reconfirmed yesterday.

So One S, One X, Series X and S were done with the Surface Team.

the-pi-guy said:
konnichiwa said:

You say porting has been positive for Minecraft....Sales sure but at the same time we have people complain in this thread that some updates like the 4K/Ray tracing did not come to Xbox series because of other platforms?

Sea of thieves was available day one for pc.....

Age of empires, those games did not really benefit xbox gamers considering they were released on PC first and then Xbox later.  

Age of Empires is still a port. It wouldn't exist without PC, and it wouldn't exist on Xbox without getting ported.

Sea of Thieves is still a port, even if it was day 1. Tomb Raider in 2013, was developed by Crystal Dynamics, ported by Nixxes, to platforms all for release day.  

4K was added to Minecraft. 

Hard to prove but age of empires lives at the moment because of Xbox,  because of the money spent by original xbox gamers, Ms greenlighted Flight simulator and Age of empires and both came to PC first and then to xbox.  In fact they stated that without gamepass Flight simulator would not exist,... and on which platform most gamepass subscribers exist?   I am fine with it but I honestly believe Age of empires IV and flight simulator 2020 would not exist without Xbox....

I find it difficult to call sea of thieves a port because porting literally means adopting software from one platform to another platform while the game start was on pc with the Unity engine..

4k was indeed added after many years to minecraft and thats also why sites like IGN use Finally:  https://www.ign.com/articles/minecraft-patch-1206023-finally-adds-4k-on-xbox-series-x-and-s

Ryuu96 said:
konnichiwa said:

Again, I said 1 or 2:

I'm going to let you in on a little secret...Are you ready for this? It's shocking.

They can do both.

And they are doing both.

Also, People Can Fly is a funny example, since they are making a game for Xbox, Lol.

You say they are doing both but where are the games?  Why do we have to wait till May for the first game? Especially when they said they will have a game each quarter...

I used People can fly as an hypothetical example because they made gears Judgement....