By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
WoodenPints said:

I don' think they would just do a new season for the 10th anniversary alone if a sequel wasn't been worked on as getting back a good userbase on a KI would be tough but a new season to get people interested and build hype leading into KI2 in a couple of years time is a good idea for sure.

Sequel is being worked on, I believe.

• Iron Galaxy returning to KI after 5 years just for a patch? Lol. Doubt.
  • James Goddard's title being "Head of KI" You don't make a brand manager title for a frigging patch, Lol.
  • James Goddard saying "More KI for the next 10 years"

It's happening, Iron Galaxy is making it, likely in early development though.

New season in the run-up to a new KI would be a nice way to build some hype and keep KI in peoples minds as a new KI is likely far away.

They need to bring back Mick Gordon as well, I don't give a fuck if Bethesda or ID Software bitches and moans, they can suck it up whilst he makes the OST for the Doomguy guest character in Killer Instinct haha. Chai as a guest character would be sick, considering the music in KI is connected into the gameplay beats, it's so fucking perfect, Chai and his guitar. Omg Mick Gordon doing a Chai theme.

LFG!!!

Best Fighting OST Ever.

Everything Mick Gordon touches turns to gold would love to see him back for the OST and there is a crazy amount of options since KI released for guest characters with Xbox characters alone and a colossal pool to chose from when Activison acquisitions completes just give me the Queen of Blades in one of the seasons.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Ryuu96 said:

That's funny because at the time, many were saying that Halo Infinite's split-screen worked fine and 343 were stupid to drop it, Lol, I didn't agree but still. 60fps Redfall has nothing to do with Series S, as the Series X and S are allowed to have different framerates. Split-screen is however, a feature, and Microsoft requires feature parity between Series S/X.

All this drama over a feature that barely anyone will use anyway, Lol. Split-screen is a dying feature, it would have been far more preferable to just launch it without split-screen and patch it in later, or don't have it at all on Xbox. I think everyone would prefer that, but then they'd launch same time as Starfield on Xbox, which I think they're trying to avoid as well.

Anyway, Larian themselves have downplayed how much of an "issue" Series S is, Remedy's (marketing?) dude has made comments, yet Alan Wake 2 is still coming to Series S and looks great. Developers scale for different specs all the time. In addition, if Switch is supported more by developers, they really have no excuse to try to skip Series S, Lol.

AAA studios, can handle it. Jumping to "developers will start skipping Xbox because BG3 is launching slightly later on Xbox than PS!" is a quite a doomer exaggeration, it's still coming, it's taking slightly longer, it makes more sense for them to prioritise PS/PC due to Starfield as well, they literally moved the PC date forward to avoid Starfield, it stands to reason they want to avoid it on Xbox as well.

It worked fine but 343 could not do it, if a first party can't do it why complain about a third party one,  like you said yourself becaues of the feature parity between X/S, MS is saying fuck you to any X owner who wanted to play BG 3 on that day and should just get a Pc or PS.  The only thing that brings hope is that an announcement seems to be imminent + BG 1/2 coming to gamepass..

If AAA in the future can handle it or not doesn't matter, any dev who can't handle it and will not release it on Xbox will be treated as Sony buying (time) exclusives again and fuck the devs!!!

Gabegabe was a nice comment but is getting oudated, this september in Europe as an example you can choose between A black Xbox series S with 1TB for 350 Euro or an PS5 digital version for (almost)a similar price it is going to be a blood bath especially if sony is the one advertising the console with FC 2024.

There's a difference between can and desire to do something, 343 could have absolutely done it if they wanted to but they chose to prioritise their resources elsewhere, they even left the door open for it to come later (it definitely won't but still doesn't change my point). They could get split-screen on Halo Infinite but as it's such a niche feature, they believe their resources are better spent elsewhere.

There seems to be this assumption that Larian is this tiny indie studio, they aren't. They are a massive RPG developer, one of the biggest in the industry with over 450 employees and 6 studio locations across the world with a 30% investment from Tencent. I do believe that if they really focused on it that they could get split-screen working on Series S but I believe they're prioritising PS/PC because it makes more sense due to Starfield.

The feature parity is there because Series S is sold as a next gen console to consumers which would have parity with Xbox in all but resolution and framerate, if they removed the parity then they'd be saying "fuck you" to any Series S owner and open the doors up to every developer just ripping features from Series S. Like it or not, Series S is here and stabbing those consumers in the back only 3 years in would be a disaster PR move.

Is likewise, Sony or Larian saying fuck you to PS owners because the PC version launches a month before the PS version? Lol.

That Resetera comment is quite literally not outdated, it represents a very real consumer view and one that shouldn't be ignored, we are in a luxurious position to be in more financially stable countries so fuck everyone else in a poorer country that is able to game thanks to Series S, right? No, not right. PS having a similar price to Xbox or outselling it doesn't change that, not everyone wants a PS.

Dude in a poorer country wants to play Starfield but doesn't have the funds for a powerful PC or Series X, Series S is there for them.

WoodenPints said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

Everything Mick Gordon touches turns to gold would love to see him back for the OST and there is a crazy amount of options since KI released for guest characters with Xbox characters alone and a colossal pool to chose from when Activison acquisitions completes just give me the Queen of Blades in one of the seasons.

I'd hope they would have a large amount of the original Killer Instinct characters for launch, of course, but I think it'd be awesome if the first guest pack was like one character from each division, a character to represent Xbox Game Studios, a character to represent Bethesda and a character to represent Activision-Blizzard.

It feels fairly obvious to say who would represent each division, so instead maybe, who would you want as a representative of each division? I'm conflicted because I want Chief but Doomguy as well and I feel for the first pack, they'd be too similar to each other (both shooter guys wearing armour hiding their face, Lol).

Lets make it a question.

Killer Instinct Guest Character Pack #1

• Xbox Game Studios - ?
  • Bethesda Softworks - ?
  • Activision Blizzard - ?

Some purists hate guest characters though, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 August 2023

Ryuu96 said:

• Xbox Game Studios - Marcus Fenix
  • Bethesda Softworks - Indiana Jones
  • Activision Blizzard - Garrosh Hellscream

Shaunodon said:
Ryuu96 said:

• Xbox Game Studios - Marcus Fenix
  • Bethesda Softworks - Indiana Jones
  • Activision Blizzard - Garrosh Hellscream

Ain't that cheating?

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:
Shaunodon said:

Ain't that cheating?

All fair in my mind. They need something to help promote the new game because that movie ain't it.

My guess on the issues with BG3 is that the game works great solo but become too taxing on the memory with coop. Either on bandwith or pool size.

It might be that they don't want to create another sets of lower quality assets for the Series S. Using lower quality assets is common in split screen and may even be used with Ps5 and Series X but it might be so that this easy path with Series S push the quality under a thresold to which they are not willing to go for experience sake and as a result scramble to find alternative solutions with various optimisations.
Or something alone this line.

We know the Series S have ample headrooms while targeting 1/4 of series X resolutions (output and assets). But this is the easy and lazy path as those headrooms can be used to create a better experience and that's where normal porting struggle and optimisation hit.

So to me this sound more like Larian is actualy putting in efforts and trying to get the best experience possible on the Series S which they might have underestimated and started too late and just need more time.

EpicRandy said:

My guess on the issues with BG3 is that the game works great solo but become too taxing on the memory with coop. Either on bandwith or pool size.

It might be that they don't want to create another sets of lower quality assets for the Series S. Using lower quality assets is common in split screen and may even be used with Ps5 and Series X but it might be so that this easy path with Series S push the quality under a thresold to which they are not willing to go for experience sake and as a result scramble to find alternative solutions with various optimisations.
Or something alone this line.

We know the Series S have ample headrooms while targeting 1/4 of series X resolutions (output and assets). But this is the easy and lazy path as those headrooms can be used to create a better experience and that's where normal porting struggle and optimisation hit.

So to me this sound more like Larian is actualy putting in efforts and trying to get the best experience possible on the Series S which they might have underestimated and started too late and just need more time.

All this plus there's no rush to get it on Xbox with Starfield right there, they literally moved it forward on PC to avoid Starfield so it stands to reason that they would have made attempts to avoid Starfield on Xbox as well. So I think they're "happy/fine" with missing the Xbox launch on Starfield week and will take their time, give themselves some distance between it and Starfield and launch it late in 2023 or very early in 2024.

Best case scenario, it launches into Game Pass on Xbox due to the delay as the genre is already niche on consoles, a late port would be even smaller. In the meantime, they're probably enjoying some easy marketing because Baldur's Gate 3 is now dragged into the console wars and a bunch of Sony fans who never had any interest in the game are now interested in it and talking about it because it launches the same date as Starfield, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 August 2023

Ryuu96 said:
WoodenPints said:

I'd hope they would have a large amount of the original Killer Instinct characters for launch, of course, but I think it'd be awesome if the first guest pack was like one character from each division, a character to represent Xbox Game Studios, a character to represent Bethesda and a character to represent Activision-Blizzard.

It feels fairly obvious to say who would represent each division, so instead maybe, who would you want as a representative of each division? I'm conflicted because I want Chief but Doomguy as well and I feel for the first pack, they'd be too similar to each other (both shooter guys wearing armour hiding their face, Lol).

Lets make it a question.

• Xbox Game Studios - ?
  • Bethesda Softworks - ?
  • Activision Blizzard - ?

Some purists hate guest characters though, Lol.

I think there needs to be a balance between guest, returning and new characters in any fighter as guests can be cool but they can also eat up the spots of new original characters.

• Xbox Game Studios - Chief
  • Bethesda Softworks - Todd Howard
  • Activision Blizzard - Sarah Kerrigan