By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Around the Network
shavenferret said:

Damn....... Biden did horrible in that, his halting and rambling answers are feeding the dementia comments.  Biden had that WAT look on his face during the course of the debate :-/ Europe is going to have to bankroll the Ukraine fight by themselves b/c Donald Trump will get a surge in the polls and it seems like his race to lose now.

Yeah, I've not watched but the most common reactions I've seen are that Biden did awful, a lot of stuttering and senior moments, equally Trump didn't answer any of the questions and just bullshitted his way through the entire thing with lies but as we've seen in the past, it doesn't matter what your policies are, if you know what you're talking about, how much you lie, as long as you are "charismatic" you can win an election.

Anyway, while it's definitely bad for Biden, I wouldn't jump into dooming yet, the election is still 5 months away and things can change in that time, a lot may forget about this debate before then, Obama had an awful first debate which was panned by everyone as well but he still went on to win. Again, not saying it's not bad for Biden but it's not over until it's over, keep up the faith, use this moment as fuel to remind people even more strongly as to what is at stake if Trump wins, an old stumbling man with a great team around him is much better than a dictator.

But I would start making contingency plans in Europe, I genuinely think if Trump wins we need to send troops into Western Ukraine and already be prepared to do that, a Trump win will require something drastic from Europe to ensure Ukraine can still win and Europe should not give a fuck about what America thinks about it (if Trump wins) after Trump has straight up said Russia can do whatever it likes to our European allies.

Ryuu96 said:
shavenferret said:

Damn....... Biden did horrible in that, his halting and rambling answers are feeding the dementia comments.  Biden had that WAT look on his face during the course of the debate :-/ Europe is going to have to bankroll the Ukraine fight by themselves b/c Donald Trump will get a surge in the polls and it seems like his race to lose now.

Yeah, I've not watched but the most common reactions I've seen are that Biden did awful, a lot of stuttering and senior moments, equally Trump didn't answer any of the questions and just bullshitted his way through the entire thing with lies but as we've seen in the past, it doesn't matter what your policies are, if you know what you're talking about, how much you lie, as long as you are "charismatic" you can win an election.

Anyway, while it's definitely bad for Biden, I wouldn't jump into dooming yet, the election is still 5 months away and things can change in that time, a lot may forget about this debate before then, Obama had an awful first debate which was panned by everyone as well but he still went on to win. Again, not saying it's not bad for Biden but it's not over until it's over, keep up the faith, use this moment as fuel to remind people even more strongly as to what is at stake if Trump wins, an old stumbling man with a great team around him is much better than a dictator.

But I would start making contingency plans in Europe, I genuinely think if Trump wins we need to send troops into Western Ukraine and already be prepared to do that, a Trump win will require something drastic from Europe to ensure Ukraine can still win and Europe should not give a fuck about what America thinks about it (if Trump wins) after Trump has straight up said Russia can do whatever it likes to our European allies.

It's over unless Bidens dementia pills suddenly start working. And also, Trumps political power was dropping in his trial, that's why some Republicans actually voted to help with the aid packages. They won't be able to have any further aid packages unless Biden can use his executive powers to keep such packages from being voted on. I remember talk of that 100 billion euro fund for ukraine that the EU was considering if Trump won, it may be time to reconsider that.

Ryu, who do you think is going to win on July 4?

shavenferret said:
Ryuu96 said:

It's over unless Bidens dementia pills suddenly start working. And also, Trumps political power was dropping in his trial, that's why some Republicans actually voted to help with the aid packages. They won't be able to have any further aid packages unless Biden can use his executive powers to keep such packages from being voted on. I remember talk of that 100 billion euro fund for ukraine that the EU was considering if Trump won, it may be time to reconsider that.

It's not over, chill out, it is definitely bad, I'm not arguing that it wasn't bad and that we shouldn't plan a contingency plan but jumping straight to defeatism doesn't help anyone, a lot can change in 5 months time, again, that is a bad performance from Biden and Democrats need to make some serious moves now, but being like "Ah it's all fucked, we've lost, there's no point" is exactly what Republicans want.

The aid package is designed to last a full year, meaning it won't even run out until April 2025-ish so after the elections, if Trump won then there wouldn't be another aid package either way, if Trump loses then there will be further aid packages because House/Senate will be too close and Trump will be out the way, we do not have to worry about Ukraine support from America until January 2025 (if Trump wins) and I imagine if Trump does win that Biden will just empty the aid package between November - January.

Yes, Europe should move forward without America either way.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 2 days ago

Around the Network
BFR said:

Ryu, who do you think is going to win on July 4?

Is this a joke question?

Just kidding, I know that you aren't British so you probably haven't seen what is happening here.

Barring some fucking divine intervention by God (or maybe the devil in this case) to change the results, Labour are on track to demolish the Tories in the elections and due to how UK works, Reform UK (the Pro-Russian fuckwits) will barely get any seats. Tories after 14 years of destroying the country are going to be wiped out and some projections less than 100 seats (which would be absolutely horrific for them, almost too brutal to be true).

You need not worry about the UK, both the Tories and Labour are firmly pro-Ukraine (despite the Tories taking Russian money for years), The Lib-Dems are also pro-Ukraine (and there's a small chance they may end up as the opposition, Lol). They'll be next to no change in UK's support for Ukraine, nor to our foreign policy (aside from maybe fixing European relationships a little more), all the changes that will occur as a result of the UK election will be domestically.

==

So just as when Russia first invaded Ukraine, Britain must continue to support the Ukrainian people as they face down aggression and fight back.

We welcome the decision of the UK Government to supply Ukraine with Challenger 2 tanks, and train F16 fighter pilots, which Liberal Democrats had called for. We call on the Government to continue to help arm Ukraine, including by providing longer-range precision weapons.

It is vital that we continue to encourage our allies to do all they can to support Ukraine. To this end, the UK should establish formal cooperation mechanisms on foreign and security issues with the EU and NATO.

We must also seek to isolate Russia like the rogue state it is. After over a year of Liberal Democrat pressure, the Government has finally acted to proscribe the Wagner Group, making anyone engaging with them, anywhere in the world, in violation of UK law. The Government must now work to make the case with our allies that they should follow suit. 

The UK Government must not rest on its laurels while Putin's cronies continue to evade accountability.  It’s time for an economic retaliation package - starting by closing down the lucrative loopholes that funnel Putin’s illegal wealth to his dwindling front line.

The UK Government is still yet to publish the review of golden visas - which was commissioned over four years ago. Putin’s cronies have treated this country as their playground for too long - it’s beyond time to kick them out. 

The Liberal Democrats are steadfast in our commitment to supporting Ukraine, isolating Russia, and upholding the values of justice and accountability. We stand with President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people.

Ukraine can win. Ukraine must win.

Standing Strong with Ukraine - Liberal Democrats

With Labour, the UK’s military, financial, diplomatic and political support for Ukraine will remain steadfast. Labour will support efforts to hold Putin’s Russia to account for its illegal war, backing calls for a Special Tribunal for the Crime of Aggression. We will work with our allies to enable the seizure and repurposing of frozen Russian state assets to support Ukraine. And we will play a leading role in providing Ukraine with a clear path to NATO membership.

Now Putin is attempting to break European security with his full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Labour will meet this challenge by strengthening our armed forces and protecting our national security.

Our commitment to the UK’s nuclear deterrent is absolute. It is a vital safeguard for the UK and our NATO allies. As the party that founded NATO, we maintain our unshakeable commitment to the alliance, and we will apply a NATO test to major defence programmes to ensure we meet our obligations in full.

Britain Reconnected – The Labour Party

I may be wrong but I've always felt the UK is pretty anti-Russia overall, so taking a pro-Russian stance is not a desired political stance, after years of Russia threatening us, talking shit about us, blatantly dropping deadly nerve agents on our soil, or when Russian Football Hooligans beat the shit out of English Football Hooligans (Lmao), there's a lot of "fuck Russia" attitude among Brits.

Plus British Nationalism...When Russia talks shit about us, Brits will get defensive and talk about how we'll smash Russia, when Russia talks shit about America, Republicans will be like "Omg you're so right, fuck America, I love Putin" and when Russia spends a lot of its time threatening specifically the UK for some fucking weird reason, it doesn't help. Some fucking weird obsession with Anglo-Saxons.

Going to be sad to see America cucking for Russia if Trump wins.

Edit - UK has taken a bit of a "fuck you" attitude towards the rest of Europe in the past too and things like BREXIT played right into Russia's hands so that's how Russia can get their way with UK in other ways, candidates like Reform UK will scream about immigration because it works and try to hide their pro-Russian views, hoping that the anti-immigrating stance takes priority against everything else (and in some cases, it will work).

Might have to avoid American news in the meantime though, focus on Ukraine and celebrating the upcoming Tories destruction.

I recently come to learn there is a Loony Party in the UK who essential are there to take the piss out of major political parties. Wonder how many disgruntled people will throw their votes in jest that that way who don't like Labour if you saying the Tories going to get massacred.

Cobretti2 said:

I recently come to learn there is a Loony Party in the UK who essential are there to take the piss out of major political parties. Wonder how many disgruntled people will throw their votes in jest that that way who don't like Labour if you saying the Tories going to get massacred.

Lmao. That's the Official Monster Raving Loony Party! They only have 22 candidates, Lol.

Also there's this dude.

Count Binface

In all seriousness, Liberal Democrats have a (very small) chance of becoming the opposition if Tories lose enough seats, I expect Labour will dominate, Tories will still have some loyalists and squeak out as remaining the opposition, I'd laugh so hard if they actually went below 100 and people sick of both will largely go to Lib-Dems then be spread out between Green/Reform UK/Protest Votes (not many).

I don't even know if people are largely supporting Labour or if everyone is just so fucking sick of the Tories that they're going to take great comfort in dancing on their graves, it feels less like "Labour is amazing!" and more like "I hope the Tories fucking die" Lol. I think they'll be more tactical voting this election just for the simple purpose of kicking out as many Tories as possible.