By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The curse of Disappointing prequels/sequels.

DMC 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Tekken 2, Turok 2, MGS 2, War Craft 3, Command and Conquer 3, Every GTA game post GTA III along with Halo 2 all sucked the most in their series.

Sequels live in the shadow of excellent originals. I wonder if any of the games released this year and next year out of: GTA IV, Resistance 2, Gears of War 2,  Tekken 6, MGS 4, Kill Zone 2, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Call of Duty 5, BioShock 2, Mass Effect 2 could follow down the track of being a disappointing sequel? Having high expectations put on a sequel can leave critics and gamers feeling a huge let down with the game failing to capture the excitement of the original game.

Well please tell me if you believe any game could join this dreaded list and be a huge let down? Or there should be some other games that should be posted to the list of disappointing prequels/sequels.

Around the Network

Tbh, I think all of those but Call of Duty 5 will surpass their prequels. At least Gears, Resistance, and Killzone should.

I think all except Call of Duty 5, Tekken 6 and GTA IV will pass their prequels.

With original games in the series setting high benchmarks with average review scores in excess of 90% and having achieved good game sales. Sequels have huge expectations to live up to and they must improve upon the original significantly in order to match the original game in the series. The movie industry is a lot different to the video game industry where 90% of movie sequels fail to achieve the critical success of the original movie, despite achieving higher sales than the original.

i think every GTA has been better then the one before it so i wouldn't call it a disappointing sequel