By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 51, 2021 - (13th Dec - 19th Dec)

I’m trying to remember how it goes down with famitsu sales top 30 at this time of year when holidays delay reporting.
I think they are expected to publish the delayed data in two days time at the normal time, then they release more data early the next week? Then at the normal time after that they’re all caught up when they publish the third weeks of sales in just over a week?

Around the Network
ireadtabloids said:

I’m trying to remember how it goes down with famitsu sales top 30 at this time of year when holidays delay reporting.
I think they are expected to publish the delayed data in two days time at the normal time, then they release more data early the next week? Then at the normal time after that they’re all caught up when they publish the third weeks of sales in just over a week?

Last year they reported the data for both weeks combined and I think subscribers get the separate data and someone leaked it later or they just reported it themselves later. Either way most likely we'll get both weeks combined on Thursday.

Thank you!

HoangNhatAnh said:
Farsala said:

I suggest as well to look at things logically to ascertain why PS games might not chart.

2022 is much more different than 2014 or 2007.

Media create 1000 from 2014 or Media create 500 from 2007 pretty much tells us the same thing.

You mean Nintendo sales is big again just like the past and Sony becomes more and more irrelevant in JP?

Basically that Nintendo with a big console has had dominant streaks in Japan before. Sony without a handheld console is definitely more and more irrelevant in Japan.

But other big takeaways to consider: Sony's new consoles will be harder to gauge due to digital, Support from PS3---->PS4------>PS5 will probably see relatively little change, Sony/Nintendo/MS will struggle to have big games during console transitional periods due to dropping dedicated Handhelds.

Farsala said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You mean Nintendo sales is big again just like the past and Sony becomes more and more irrelevant in JP?

Basically that Nintendo with a big console has had dominant streaks in Japan before. Sony without a handheld console is definitely more and more irrelevant in Japan.

But other big takeaways to consider: Sony's new consoles will be harder to gauge due to digital, Support from PS3---->PS4------>PS5 will probably see relatively little change, Sony/Nintendo/MS will struggle to have big games during console transitional periods due to dropping dedicated Handhelds.

Nintendo no longer requires a dedicated handheld to continue moving in the portable market though.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Farsala said:

Nintendo no longer requires a dedicated handheld to continue moving in the portable market though.

You misunderstand what I am saying. When Switch 2 is announced, Nintendo will struggle to provide big games to the Japanese market during the wait for Switch 2 launch.

Before when the Wii U struggled and the Switch was announced, Nintendo released a bunch of games for the 3DS. When Wii died down, Nintendo had the DS. When the GBA died down, Nintendo had the Wii or Gamecube. Having 2 different console lines kept big games more consistent. Every year had something.

Now I think there will be big peaks followed by big droughts.

Farsala said:
Wyrdness said:

You misunderstand what I am saying. When Switch 2 is announced, Nintendo will struggle to provide big games to the Japanese market during the wait for Switch 2 launch.

Before when the Wii U struggled and the Switch was announced, Nintendo released a bunch of games for the 3DS. When Wii died down, Nintendo had the DS. When the GBA died down, Nintendo had the Wii or Gamecube. Having 2 different console lines kept big games more consistent. Every year had something.

Now I think there will be big peaks followed by big droughts.

Not really getting what you're trying to say here as the big games will be consistent with out two platforms as the is only a single platform to focus on, when the successor to the NS is being readied Nintendo will only need to focus on that platform and would have had titles in preparation for it before hand so as the Switch is phased out the newer platform just continues on the stream of games.

Having two active platforms doesn't deal with droughts it creates them.

RolStoppable said:
Endymion said:

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/the-reasons-and-consequences-of-the-decline-of-playstation-in-japan-update-new-guidelines.287/page-2#post-16596

Can't view the post because I am not registered there. But I am quite sure I'll get around to that during 2022.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Farsala said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: In JP, digital is only 20-30%, very very very rarely it can get 40% or more in JP.

"Nintendo will struggle to provide big games to the Japanese market during the wait for Switch 2 launch" You mean Switch 2 will be just like Switch in 2017?

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 04 January 2022

4m for HW:AOC which makes it Koei's best ever selling game.