By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite JRPG remake/reboot of 2020? Why?

What is your fave JRPG remake/reboot of 2020

Xenoblade DE 22 56.41%

Trials of Mana 1 2.56%

Final Fantasy VII R 14 35.90%

Other (explain) 2 5.13%

Total:39

The main 3 I can think of is Final Fantasy VII R. Trials of Mana. Xenoblade Definitive Edition. If there is more feel free to discuss. (Persona 5 R is not a remake or Reboot. Just a re-release with new content so doesn't count)

I will give my thoughts briefly on the main 3.

Starting with Trials of Mana. 

I quite enjoyed this game. It's a remake of a SNES game. It mainly just feels like a SNES game in 3D. Some may see that as a negative. For me I love it. The simpler game adds to the charm. In some ways, it feels like an older Ys game. Fast-paced action RPG with big bosses. It just keeps going and rarely slows down. The music is nice. I like the colorful visuals. It's just charming, simple, and fun.

Final Fantasy VIIR.

I love the original FF7. Not my top FF game but it's up there. I was worried when they announced a remake. I didn't trust Nomura as honestly, I hate him. His art is shit. His stories are shit. Combat systems are shit. Kingdom Hearts can eat shit. One exception is TWEWY. Sad to say all my fears were confirmed and then some. They diced the game up and this reboot will never be finished. Turned it into Kingdom Hearts BS by reworking the story. It's too self-referential now. A lot of it felt like padding on side quests. The UE4 is not doing well. Models look great but often textures do not load in. NPCs have no style to them. Just can be plucked from any game. Remind me of how cookie cutter they are in open-world games. Total letdown. The one positive is the music. It's gorgeous.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Editon.

It lives up to the name. It's a remake with the full game. It had 20 extra hours of story. It has a ton of QOL improvements to possibly the best RPG in the last 15 years. One of the best. They made very minor changes to further connect it to other games. Nothing over the top just subtle things. The story is as good as ever. The depth of gameplay like any of these games is massive. Sometimes almost too complex but once you learn them it's very rewarding. Making Colony 6 quest easy to track made a world of difference. That is one of the most tedious but so rewarding town-building quests in any RPG ever. It takes till near end game to do it but it's so worth it. The remade music which was already fantastic has extra layers to it making it even better. They made one of the best games ever even better and gave us 20 extra hours of the story for free.

I feel Xenoblade DE is the Best Remake of 202 for a JRPG so far and my favorite.

Last edited by Leynos - on 17 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Agree with all.

This thread was already done a few weeks ago. Yes, Nomura is a terrible director.

FFVIIR is so many levels better than the original that it isn't even a fair comparison.

Considering the scores OP is in disagreement with the market.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 17 June 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well out of those options, Xenoblade unironically. Don't know why they made the music worse though.

Around the Network

Well, the only one of those I have really played is xenoblade, so I guess it wins. It is a freaking amazing game, it’s up there with CHRONO trigger and suikoden 2 as a top 3 rpg of all time. Never tried trials, and I have no real interest in it. Tried the demo of ffviir, didn’t like it. Combat is dumb and I’m super annoyed they split it up into multiple games. It was very pretty though... graphics seem to be the only thing square does right these days...

gergroy said:
Well, the only one of those I have really played is xenoblade, so I guess it wins. It is a freaking amazing game, it’s up there with CHRONO trigger and suikoden 2 as a top 3 rpg of all time. Never tried trials, and I have no real interest in it. Tried the demo of ffviir, didn’t like it. Combat is dumb and I’m super annoyed they split it up into multiple games. It was very pretty though... graphics seem to be the only thing square does right these days...

Great play the game and know the combat is dumb... sure.

Come back after you cleared the game on hard and done the challenges.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
gergroy said:

Trust me, playing it on hard would most certainly not help me like the combat anymore.  I like being overpowered in my RPGS.  I might pick it up after all the parts are released... but going from the demo... I’m not super motivated to get it.  Felt like a step back in a lot of ways from the original.  I’m glad you like it though...

gergroy said:
DonFerrari said:

Trust me, playing it on hard would most certainly not help me like the combat anymore.  I like being overpowered in my RPGS.  I might pick it up after all the parts are released... but going from the demo... I’m not super motivated to get it.  Felt like a step back in a lot of ways from the original.  I’m glad you like it though...

The hard playthrough you can feel overpowered though. You can only do as new game plus. If you have a easy or hard time will depend on how you tackle each battle. But it won't be dumbed down at all. That was the portion I was looking at. You may dislike it even more, but the demo don't show at all the battle.

Played the demo for trials, wasn't a fan.
Played the demo for ff7, I enjoyed it. But damn they fucked the story up massively from what I've seen. I'll probably play it all at some point but my expectations are low.
Just finished xenoblade a few days ago. I highly enjoyed it. Great rpg. It does show it's age a bit in places and does suffer a little from pacing issues and grinding can be annoying in the late game but overall very good. I havent gotten around to the added content yet.