By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=175988 

In the wake of controversy suggesting racist undertones of Resident Evil 5, Capcom producer Jun Takeuchi explains the game setting in a recent interview with Japan's Famitsu magazine.

"We really wanted to show the origins of the virus," said Takeuchi, speaking of Resident Evil 5. "So for the setting we thought, how about using the place where humankind was born... We thought we would use Africa, which is now called the birthplace of humanity."

Capcom unveiled a teaser trailer for RE5 at E3 2007, which has a white protagonist (Chris Redfield) killing native African zombies. The video stirred emotions for some, suggesting the imagery developed by the Japanese game-maker was racist.

On Thursday, Newsweek game journalist N'Gai Croal criticized Capcom in an interview with MTV Multiplayer saying the trailer lacked the necessary context to explain the imagery. He added, "clearly no one black worked on this game."

Previous Resident Evil games have taken place in American, a fictional remote island, Antarctica, and most recently Spain, all of which have the player gunning down hostile Zombie (or Zombie-like) natives.

For players more interested in the game than the surrounding controversy, actual gameplay can be seen at the 5:06 mark in the video. Resident Evil 5 is planned for release on Xbox 360 and PS3 sometime in 2009.

Around the Network

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=23507

Sorry Europe usually gets news first though everything else usually months later lol

Well honestly ,, the only thing worrying about resident evil 5 in my opinion, is that it is the first main resident evil that is not supervised by series creator Shinji Mikami,,,
the first element that struck me when i first saw the trailers is that Chris redfield is not Chris redfield anymore,, they turned him into your everyday pumped up hero,, (look at his armssssssss)

i truly hope that it becomes an instant classic like RE4, but i dont know , i have my doubts

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

N'Gai Croal...I love him...but he needs to shut up about this. Did he raise this issue about RE4 when it happened to be a white guy shooting spanish-speaking people? How about when Carlos was shooting white people? Oh, and they are zombies! (or very zombie-esque).

There's nothing racist about it. I wish people would stop pulling out the race card for no reason. Edit: Oh, and the proper context?! IT'S RESIDENT EVIL. HE'S SHOOTING ZOMBIES. Ugh.