By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario + Rabbids has sold more than 2 millions units - Best selling third party title

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/mario_plus_rabbids_on_nintendo_switch_has_sold_more_than_two_million_copies

Earlier this year, Ubisoft's third quarter financial briefing revealed Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle had been the highest selling third-party game on the Switch - placing the French-based publisher in the overall lead in terms of third-party sales on the platform. More recently, Ubisoft's full-year sales and earnings figures for the 2017-18 period showed a total of seven percent of the company's sales were on Switch, with sales predominantly accredited to the Mario and Rabbid cross-over game. 

Ubisoft Milan Creative Director Davide Soliani recently shed a bit more light on exact sales figures for the popular tactical turn-based RPG via Twitter, confirming the title has now sold more than two million copies on the Nintendo Switch. 

In celebration of this feat and the one-year anniversary of the game, Ubisoft shared an infographic showing the choices players had made in the game. 

I'm glad that efforts pay off and will encourage other third party companies to release more exclusive content for the Switch

Around the Network

The best selling third party title has Mario in the name. Nice.

I'll pick it up at some point, still haven't finished botw

"ncourage other third party companies to release more exclusive content "

No, it will encourage other third parties to try and get permission to use Nintendo IP if anything. There's no reason to make an exclusive title unless you're getting something in return.

Last edited by Barkley - on 03 September 2018

Barkley said:

The best selling third party title has Mario in the name. Nice.

I'll pick it up at some point, still haven't finished botw

"ncourage other third party companies to release more exclusive content "

No, it will encourage other third parties to try and get permission to use Nintendo IP if anything. There's no reason to make an exclusive title unless you're getting something in return.

It also has Rabbids in the title, so I think it evens out :P

Give Octopath some time and you'll have an example of a non-Mario 3rd party game doing that well.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I think that is healthy. But do we know how much rabbids done before this? Because the VGC tool puts several rabbids on the 2M area even without Mario. All of those in Wii, DS... So we don't even know how much it would sell if MP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Its actually a second party game, but lets not sheat over the details.

Congratulations to the team and the game.It truly deserves it sales and more.Hope it keeps on selling for a long time.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

It's not.

It's an original, system exclusive Mario Game, and it's got the reviews, the colors, and the production value.

It would have been a little weird if it didn't sell, but two million is a LOT better than the Rabbids offering the Wii U lauched with did! :D

SKMBlake said:
Nautilus said:

It's not.

It has the Mario IP on it, it was supervised by Nintendo and maybe funded by them in some form, even if just in the marketing side.So it is a second party game.

For it to be third party it would need to have zero property from Nintendo(that alkso apllies to the other two) and zero funding from Nintendo, be it financial or otherwise, so it isnt tied to the console.And you certainly wont be seeing Kingdom Battle on the pS4 or Xone.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
SKMBlake said:

It's not.

It has the Mario IP on it, it was supervised by Nintendo and maybe funded by them in some form, even if just in the marketing side.So it is a second party game.

For it to be third party it would need to have zero property from Nintendo(that alkso apllies to the other two) and zero funding from Nintendo, be it financial or otherwise, so it isnt tied to the console.And you certainly wont be seeing Kingdom Battle on the pS4 or Xone.

"Supervised" not really, they just allowed Ubisoft to use Mario characters but only if Mario can't jump. That's not a real supervision. And "may be funded", well since we don't know about it, and since it's a Ubisoft game, it's a third party title.

And if it was a second party game, Nintendo would talk about its sales in their reports, like they did it with all of their 1st and 2nd party games. But they didn't. Because it's a third party game.