By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Verge: Ninteno LABO Review: An incredible learning tool that's a blast to play

NINTENDO LABO REVIEW: AN INCREDIBLE LEARNING TOOL THAT’S A BLAST TO PLAY

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/18/17253574/nintendo-labo-review-switch-learning-diy

For the past few days, my living room has resembled a mid-1990s arcade. There’s a fishing game in a corner with a physical rod so you can reel in a digital catch. Beside it is a motorcycle racer where players can use their bodies and hands to navigate a twisting race track. There’s also a piano where you can record your own tracks and manipulate sounds with a series of strange knobs. Smack dab in the middle is a massive, angular backpack that you can strap on to control a lumbering on-screen robot, swinging your arms in the real world to smash buildings in the game. The big difference between these games and the arcades of my youth is that each and every one is made of cardboard and I built them all myself.

This creative element is where the real power of Labo lies. Once you build the kits and play through the games, there’s not much else to do. A simple arcade fishing game is fun to play every so often, but it’s not the kind of experience you can lose yourself in for long. But figuring out ways to make and record your own music, or new uses for the various Toy-Con is much more engaging, and Labo gives you a surprisingly robust toolset to do just that.

Labo is an experience where creating and building are just as much fun as playing. It eases you into this world: at the beginning, you’re simply folding cardboard. But just a few hours later, you’re trying to figure out how to turn a box into an interactive drum kit. My living room might never look the same again.

Alos CNET review

https://www.cnet.com/products/nintendo-labo/review/

So far, in my second extended time with Labo both at home and at the office, it's felt like a combination of a school science project, Lego and Ikea had a magic video game child. It's not necessarily going to be for everyone, but I think it's a brilliant innovation, where the journey is as important as the destination.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 19 April 2018

Around the Network

It's not for me, but nice. Good press is a good start for Labo.

EDIT: I still find it strange that Nintendo had a review embargo on this. Maybe Nintendo wasn't thinking out of the box for that time .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

"Aside from the RC car, an introductory kit that takes a scant 10 minutes to put together, the other sets can take upwards of two hours to build."

Good luck getting today's ADHD kids to spend 2 hrs. putting cardboard together.

Nighthawk117 said:
"Aside from the RC car, an introductory kit that takes a scant 10 minutes to put together, the other sets can take upwards of two hours to build."

It's the kind of toys the parents will make themselves and then hope for their kids to play with for as long as possible before going to the next toy ^^"

Nighthawk117 said:

"They recommend that children from 6 years old will require parental supervision. If you have a child that is 10 years or older, they can assemble the kit by themselves".

Faelco said: 
Nighthawk117 said: 

It's the kind of toys the parents will make themselves and then hope for their kids to play with for as long as possible before going to the next toy ^^"

Or kind of toys parents will help children to make them. :)

Around the Network

You beat me to it. Was the 1st review i could find on LABO and (Spoilers) it gave it a solid 8.3.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

http://www.alphr.com/nintendo-switch/1009120/nintendo-labo-review-Toy-Con

5 star review!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Nighthawk117 said:

my neice has ADHD and I've seen her sit for hours doing art projects.

It seems reaction is pretty positive.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

But how's it SELLING?