By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone else watching American Vandal?

I just found this random show on Netflix called American Vandal. I needed something to watch since I had just finished up Bojack Horseman season 4 and the description for the show was the weirdest synopsis I had ever heard for any show.

The show revolves around a high school student being falsely accused of spray painting penises on to the cars of several staff members of the school he goes to and being expelled for doing so. The kid accused of doing this has history of delinquency, so everyone is against him. In reality he is innocent... which attracts the help of a fellow high school student who launches a full scale investigation against the claim. The show is centered around the perspective of the kid trying the protect the student and the inconsistencies he has to spot within the investigation to prove the claim false.

I got through Episode 1 and so far... it's been pretty enjoyable. The best qualities of the show are the unique production value.... which makes the series feel more like a youtube video and the contrast between the subject and the tone. The show blends high quality shots you would expect from decently budgeted shows along with school camera footage to make the show feel like it's specifically been constructed by a high school student. Also... this is the one of the most ridiculous concepts I've ever heard for a show... but all the characters take it incredibly seriously. Even the characters acknowledge the situation is stupid.. but they still seem concerned and distraught over the situation. This gives the show a nice blend of comedy and drama and makes the audience feel that they're watching teenagers who are facing serious consequences who have to deal with the problem in their own unique way. Oddly enough, the contrast between the 2 ends up working... since it helps illustrate that stupid shit done by young people as "pranks" could end up having serious reprucussions. I'm nowhere near with being done with the show... but the concept alone makes me eager to find out what happens.

The season is only 8 episodes long... so I would recommend at least watching the first episode and seeing if you start to like the concept. Definitely one of Netflix's most unique shows.