By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SONY, PATENT PENDING

I am confused, someone had a really cool thread a couple months ago about a patent/pic from sony and a new motion control.

I found this link, and it is dated MAY 17th 2007? Looks like they have a patent gearing up. I know if they make it , I will buy one. I wonder if Microsoft has one?? anyone know?

Here is the link

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Sony.AS.&OS=AN/Sony&RS=AN/Sony

Around the Network

Doesn't mean anything. All companies try and issue as many patents as they can - primarily for "protection" these days. Patents are very easy to submit/get, and almost impossible to defend. M$ for instance, issues thousands of patents a year - on just about everything they can. Nintendo has a number of patents relating to "pointing" technology, so if Sony tried to use a similar technique - Nintendo could drag them to court.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

it's probably referring to sony's planned Eyetoy or whatever it's going to be called. This device will use a depth sensing camera for the motion detection bit, and thus avoid being taken to the japanese courts by nintendo.

No, its not the Eye Toy. There was a Virtual Glove patent by Sony a few months back. Many Sony fanboys were saying how it was a million times better than the Wiimote. Blah Blah Blah. Quite a number of PS3 owners, however, were quick to point out that all companies have patents for stuff they may never use. Its just like shams says, it is for "protection". Nintendo has a patent for a Wiimote phone. There are 9 patents in existence for "colors". Alot of these things are ridiculous.

I once found the Sixaxis patent. They litterally applied for the patent days before E3, and the included drawings looked completly last second. Basically, it made it clear that Sony hadn't been working on motion for years, but more like months.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Patents should expire 1 yr after you get one if you didnt actually make and market the device...

shams said:
Doesn't mean anything. All companies try and issue as many patents as they can - primarily for "protection" these days. Patents are very easy to submit/get, and almost impossible to defend. M$ for instance, issues thousands of patents a year - on just about everything they can. Nintendo has a number of patents relating to "pointing" technology, so if Sony tried to use a similar technique - Nintendo could drag them to court.

Yeah, that patent for a 80gb PS3 didn't mean anything.  And all the sudden Nintendo has the monopoly on "pointing " devices?  Oh I see.  Shouldn't Sony be already in court for having remotes for their TVs, then?

sieanr said:
I once found the Sixaxis patent. They litterally applied for the patent days before E3, and the included drawings looked completly last second. Basically, it made it clear that Sony hadn't been working on motion for years, but more like months.

Well, it works great for games like Motorstorm (first-person view), Lair, and Warhawk, so I guess it was worth it. 

windbane said:
sieanr said:

Well, it works great for games like Motorstorm (first-person view), Lair, and Warhawk, so I guess it was worth it. 

Where did I say it wasn't worth it?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

windbane said:
shams said:

Yeah, that patent for a 80gb PS3 didn't mean anything. And all the sudden Nintendo has the monopoly on "pointing " devices? Oh I see. Shouldn't Sony be already in court for having remotes for their TVs, then?

Note the phrase "drag to court" - which is literally what happens when patents are infringed.

If Sony was to release an "exact" copy of the Wiimote, Nintendo would get them for copyright infringement (i.e. an "exact" copy).

If Sony was to release a one-handed PS3 controller, that used pointing technology - Nintendo could try to get them on patent infringement (and would probably lose). It should be noted that Nintendo did NOT invent the Wiimote - and the patent I have seen does not apply to the technology - rather it applies to a type of gameplay/player action, that you would use the Wiimote for.

Nintendo (like any other company) would work out how much the lawsuit would cost, vrs how much they could sue Sony for - and determine whether it was worth it. Its not going to happen, as Sony has no plans to rip-off the Wiimote (anytime soon...). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099