By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Retro: Rumble Pack and the beginning of rumble

http://retro.ign.com/articles/864/864231p1.html

"That little shake you feel in your Xbox 360 controller? That little tremor you feel in your Dual Shock 2? That little jingle-jangle you feel your Wii Remote? All of it traces back eleven years to the Rumble Pak, the Nintendo 64 controller add-on that gave a jolt to Star Fox 64. Released in Japan in April of 1997 and May here in the States, the Rumble Pak is one of those innovations that became an industry standard within a single generation. In fact, rumble is taken for granted by so many gamers now that it was considered a minor outrage when Sony opted to ditch it for the Sixaxis PS3 controller."

Follow link to read rest.

I remeber when I first got Starfox 64. I was all into rumble then, it was new and awesome. now, I turn it off. meh, no biggie. Just drains the battery.

Around the Network

I was young and misguided back then (Perfectly acceptable as I was only 11 ) and never read about games in magazines. And without the internet back then my gaming expertise was quite limited. One day I was trying to pick out a game to get for my new N64 and I noticed that Starfox came with something called a rumble pak.

Yes I bought the game hoping to get more value for my money since it came with an accessory compared to games that didn't!

Thankfully it didn't backfire on me and Starfox 64 turned out to rule plus pretty much all of my 64 games ended up using a rumble pak so that thing got a lot of use.