By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we see a new entry in the Zero Escape franchise? SPOILERS INSIDE

With the imminent launch of The Nonary Games collection, it got me thinking:Will we see a fourth entry in the franchise?

I mean, the series was on hiatus after Virtue Last Reward, due to lower sales than expected.But due to fan pressure, we got Zero Time Dillema, that not only it didnt answer all of the questions posed by the last two games, but also presents even more mysteries, such as who is the "snake" that Delta talks about which kick started the whole thing.

And after that, which was deemed by the developers that ZTD would be the last entry and would solve all mysteries(which obviously did not), we are getting a collection, in which 999 has been remastered.In other words, they putted more work in this than it was needed.

All of this leads me to believe: ZTD sales were bigger than they expected(and I would even go as far to say that the reception and pre-orders leading up to the game release were also bigger), which made Spike-Chunsoft holds things out of ZTD(like a conclusive ending) for that, if the reception of the collection is good enough, they will make at least a fourth and final game for the franchise.Or maybe Im just overthinking this, its also very possible.

So what do you think?Would you be happy to see a new entry in the franchise? 

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
I'd love another.

I assume it will be less of a "fourth one" and more the first of a new series. IE what danganronpa is doing.

Oh I hope not.I hated the approach they did with Danganronpa, in that instead of finishing the trilogy with the third game, they finished it with an anime.I want it to have the fourth game, and that it explains everything.In another words, a direct sequel.Once thats done, then they can continue the franchise as you told:a new story, with all new cast, with next to zero connection with the previous saga, but that happens in the world, or the same timeline if you prefer.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

I would love another one. Although Uchikoshi has already teased his new game, which I doubt is a 4th entry in the series, but instead something brand new. ZTD left a lot of unanswered questions, so I can see them wrap it all up with one more release, but not for a while. Took a lot of pressure for us to get the third game. Don't wanna see it become an anime like danganronpa 3 though.

It'd be nice to have another one, but I don't think there will be. I think ZTD wraps up most of what needed to be answered, and a 4th would be kind of unnecessary.

Bandorr said:
Nautilus said:

Oh I hope not.I hated the approach they did with Danganronpa, in that instead of finishing the trilogy with the third game, they finished it with an anime.I want it to have the fourth game, and that it explains everything.In another words, a direct sequel.Once thats done, then they can continue the franchise as you told:a new story, with all new cast, with next to zero connection with the previous saga, but that happens in the world, or the same timeline if you prefer.

The thing is I don't know how they would add a fourth. I feel like everything got wrapped up in 3.

Of course not!

Im assuming here that you played all games, so I wont hold back.But nevertheless, there are spoilers ahead

First of all, they still havent explained the All-Ice and all the egiptian references in the first game(the egipcian book, the root that is found in the coffin, etc).Even though with all the alien equipment and time travel, you can maybe see where they are comming from.

Second, there is the question of who was the person inside Kyle body in the end of Virtue Last Reward.Not only that, but old Sigma and old Akane says that this person is essential for the plan to work and to save the world(By this point they are probably referencing whatever happens when the gang at ZTD reaches the true ending and go after the "snail".And that actually creates more questions, such as if they know about the truth of what really made Delta make all those things and that there is actually greater villain behind all the terrible events of everything that happened, why are they in the "wrong timeline?But I digress), and yet he is never revealed.Wether he was a carachter in ZTD, someone completely unrelated, or rather he is one of them but just dont remember about the events I just said is not answered.

And third, who is this person Delta talks about?The one Delta references as "the snail"?Not only that, but he is apparently the one responsible for all of this, the one that did something in the past that forced Delta Akane, Ace and all the others do the things they did so that they could stop him.Not only that, but ZTD also ends in a cliffhanger, in that everyone is psyched up about joining forces in order to stop the fanatic guy who wants to detroy the world.If thats not a cliffhanger, then i dont know what it is.

All in all, they still have alot to answer.

Around the Network
Shadow8 said:

I would love another one. Although Uchikoshi has already teased his new game, which I doubt is a 4th entry in the series, but instead something brand new. ZTD left a lot of unanswered questions, so I can see them wrap it all up with one more release, but not for a while. Took a lot of pressure for us to get the third game. Don't wanna see it become an anime like danganronpa 3 though.

Shadow! I was just going to post in your wall to discuss about this!

But yeah, I dont think Project:psynch is related to Zero Escape.I am of the opinion that they will wait for the collection performance to actually decide wether they will go ahead with a new game or not.Or at the very least, how much of a budget the game will have.

But man, the questions just eats me up inside.

Huge difference here. The third game was always planned and wasn't possible due to low sales of VLR in Japan, the fans pressure towards the publishers just helped Uchikoshi to get some money to end its series. Even the 999 remaster was planned a long time ago for the Vita to get the full series. The PS4 version is just bonus money, with then a PS4 ZTD for even more bonus money. 

Now that it's done, he's already working on a new project, we got a first image a few days ago... Zero Escape is over, it's time to move to something else.

Faelco said:

Huge difference here. The third game was always planned and wasn't possible due to low sales of VLR in Japan, the fans pressure towards the publishers just helped Uchikoshi to get some money to end its series. Even the 999 remaster was planned a long time ago for the Vita to get the full series.

Now that it's done, he's already working on a new project, we got a first image a few days ago... Zero Escape is over, it's time to move to something else.

We dont know that.ZTD released on June, so that gives a bit less than a year to develop the collection that, lets be frank, is made up of a remaster of a VN which is as simple as it gets to develop(since 80% of the work is done, which is the writing, and the art is really "simple"), and the other part is a straight port.So the collection could very well have been made as response from the ZTD sales.Not to mention that this comes off after the franchise was supposedly "dead".Why waste extra resources on a stagnant franchise?

And yes, Uchi already moved to a new game(Project: psynch), and while it is up in the air while it is a new IP or Zero Escape(Im pretty sure it is a new IP), it dosent stop them from developing a new Zero Escape down the line, or to have Uchi to start lightly working on a new Zero Escape while he directs this other game.

I trully believe that it will depend on how this collection fares.And if it previous sales on the franchise are any indication, it dosent need to sell that many to be successful.

Nautilus said:
Faelco said:

Huge difference here. The third game was always planned and wasn't possible due to low sales of VLR in Japan, the fans pressure towards the publishers just helped Uchikoshi to get some money to end its series. Even the 999 remaster was planned a long time ago for the Vita to get the full series.

We dont know that.ZTD released on June, so that gives a bit less than a year to develop the collection that, lets be frank, is made up of a remaster of a VN which is as simple as it gets to develop(since 80% of the work is done, which is the writing, and the art is really "simple"), and the other part is a straight port.So the collection could very well have been made as response from the ZTD sales.Not to mention that this comes off after the franchise was supposedly "dead".Why waste extra resources on a stagnant franchise?

Yes, we kinda do know that. Uchikoshi talks quite a lot with its community. He hinted at the 999 remaster for a long time, even before the ZTD release. We also had voice samples for this remaster long ago... The only surprise about this remaster was the PS4 version and the fact that VLR is in it. The 999 Vita remaster is an old project. 

And Zero Escape is over, even if we lack a couple of answers (that we'll surely get in a future FAQ like VLR). They could make a barely related game using the ZE name, but that's it, they can't make a new game shoehorned weirdly in an already over story. 

EDIT: ZTD release on June 28th 2016, the 999 remaster was officially announced with a voice sample on July 2nd 2016. ZTD success really was incredible and fast for them to launch the remaster and begin the voices recording in less than a week.. 

Faelco said:
Nautilus said:

Yes, we kinda do know that. Uchikoshi talks quite a lot with its community. He hinted at the 999 remaster for a long time, even before the ZTD release. We also had voice samples for this remaster long ago... The only surprise about this remaster was the PS4 version and the fact that VLR is in it. The 999 Vita remaster is an old project. 

Wait.999 was teased for a while, yes, but it was teased very close to ZTD release.It was teased in June I believe.By then Spike certainly already had pre-order numbers and stuff that could have helped them change their minds about keeping the franchise alive or not.Plus the speculation back then was that it was simply a port.In the end 999 is being remastered(Hardly something expensive but still).I mean, what franchise receives this attention when it was supposed to be dead?

And Im not saying that the franchise is going to get a new game this year or even be announced this year.All Im saying is that this is surely alot of effort on something that was supposedly dead.The earliest we could get about something close to a tease would be next year.

Not saying it will happen, but the franchise has seen worse times and came out of tougher situations.