By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo expects to sell 10 million Switch units in the next fiscal year

Why would theh manufacture 16M and ship only 12M?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Why would theh manufacture 16M and ship only 12M?

To have stocks or maybe because production currently is cheap.

Just Milk Pokemon and they're good.

Isn't it too early to come to such a conclusion? I mean.. they should've wait a month or 2 to see how much the sales decrease, because they will.

Or they've got Pokemon Stars which pushes the visuals of the switch then 16 million are not enough.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:

Isn't it too early to come to such a conclusion? I mean.. they should've wait a month or 2 to see how much the sales decrease, because they will.

Or they've got Pokemon Stars which pushes the visuals of the switch then 16 million are not enough.

Thats not how things work, next month they will have financial meeting and they need to say how much Switch they planned to sell for whole FY year. With great launch, great demand, probably some new games (maybe Pokemon for holiday season), they think they will sell 10m in FY 2017. (March 2017. is FY 2016).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Peh said:

Thats not how things work, next month they will have financial meeting and they need to say how much Switch they planned to sell for whole FY year. With great launch, great demand, probably some new games (maybe Pokemon for holiday season), they think they will sell 10m in FY 2017. (March 2017. is FY 2016).

Even if it doesn't work like that, I will patiently wait for them to make yet another announcement of lowering expectaitions. Would be nice if I am wrong.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Expecting things is such a nice thing to do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Peh said:
Miyamotoo said:

Even if it doesn't work like that, I will patiently wait for them to make yet another announcement of lowering expectaitions. Would be nice if I am wrong.

Point that they doubling planned production means they seeing much more demand than they initial thought will be.

In any case, this is positive.

I have them at 8m. Their games are too scattered right now, but we'll see what E3 does for them games wise.

Their goal completely depends on:

April - October numbers (have to sell 100k per week)
Holiday sells (so bundles, pricing, games, promotions)
And releasing / announced games for 2017 and early 2018 (Smash & Pokemon will get them there effortlessly)

Peh said:

You have to have an estimated target for business reports over the next year, you can't just wait and decide as that's disastrous for business.