By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MGS4 live up to MGS2?

I don't 'get all the MGS2 hate. Sure the cutscenes were a bit lengthy, but it was still a very enjoyable experience.

I think that MGS4 will surpass MGS 1/2/3 combined. :P

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Anyway, as for this "deep" philosophy... Did all of this occur before or after the parts where Snake hides from enemies in cardboard boxes and looks at titty magazines to cure nausea?

You guys are being ridiculous, hiding from enemies in cardboard boxes was just a humorous gameplay mechanic, and looking at dirty magazines to cure nausea is a feature in MGS4.

In the end it's just a game, a fantasy one at that, it's not meant to be realistic or on par with a Kubrick movie.

To be clear, I didn't mind MGS2's gameplay though Raiden was a whiny little bitch.

It was the story that sent me over the edge. It became pretentious and Kojima bit off way more than he could chew with the subjects of life, free will, etc.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

No Leo-J, it was bad. It was unenjoyable.

Playing MGS2 for the first time is like being raped. At first you can't believe it happened. You take alternating cold and hot showers to try and bring clarity to the situation. You immediately start trying to desperately find reasons to justify that it wasn't that bad and that maybe its just something you did. However as the gravity of the situation bears down on you, you eventually cave into to the inarguable and have to accept that something horrible has happened to you.

The gameplay wasn't bad, the gameplay was fine. The problem is, the game didn't build itself around the gameplay, it build itself around the story.

makingmusic476 said:
I don't 'get all the MGS2 hate. Sure the cutscenes were a bit lengthy, but it was still a very enjoyable experience.

I think that MGS4 will surpass MGS 1/2/3 combined. :P

I thought the game and its story were great up until the ending and the "twist" which tarnished it somewhat.

Around the Network

MGS3 disappointing? What? That game was amazing! I think MGS2 disappointed more people cause of its avant-garde storytelling.

To all the MGS2 haters out there, I think it did more for video games than most other games combined by showing game developers that they can take chances and that they can use games as an artistic medium, and not just in the sense of gameplay and art design.

MGS2 is arguably the most important game of last generation, and it is possible that MGS4 will be the most important game of this generation, although it is too early to make definitive claims about the game.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Dragon007 said:
rocketpig said:
Anyway, as for this "deep" philosophy... Did all of this occur before or after the parts where Snake hides from enemies in cardboard boxes and looks at titty magazines to cure nausea?

You guys are being ridiculous, hiding from enemies in cardboard boxes was just a humorous gameplay mechanic, and looking at dirty magazines to cure nausea is a feature in MGS4.

In the end it's just a game, a fantasy one at that, it's not meant to be realistic or on par with a Kubrick movie.

Then it shouldn't try to tackle those subjects, especially when Kojima is mixing in "humorous" (I prefer to call them downright ridiculous) elements to the game.

I think the scene in Andrew Ryan's office was much more powerful than anything MGS2 had to offer, and even then I was a bit letdown by how BioShock handled Objectivism. 

Onimusha12 said:

Playing MGS2 for the first time is like being raped. At first you can't believe it happened. You take alternating cold and hot showers to try and bring clarity to the situation. You immediately start trying to desperately find reasons to justify that it wasn't that bad and that maybe its just something you did. However as the gravity of the situation bears down on you, you eventually cave into to the inarguable and have to accept that something horrible has happened to you.

I am trying so hard not to laugh at work right now.

In sales? Not a chance.

In being a good game? MGS2 is my least favorite of the series, and MGS3 my favorite, so I'm probably going to like MGS4 more in the end. The plot of number two got way too ridiculous towards the end, but hopefully the increased Western presence in the development team will tone things down a bit...

Onimusha12 said:

The gameplay wasn't bad, the gameplay was fine. The problem is, the game didn't build itself around the gameplay, it build itself around the story.

You sure have a way with words.
Me? I enjoyed MGS2. Especially the swordplay.
Though I agree that the twist at the end was a letdown, MGS3's twist on the other hand was awesome.

MGS2's dialogue is still good though even with the overreaching story.
Who didn't like Solidus' speech about passing on the torch?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?