By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - IPv6 and home networking (including consoles) question

Hello.

I have been curious about the implementation of IPv6. Namely:

1. When do you expect IPv6 to be mainstream?;
  2. Does the following equipment have what it takes to use IPv6:
    • Current routers that have been on the market for 2 years of less, (Linksys BEFVP41for example or combination modem/routers that ISPs lease out);
    • Current network cards that are found in computers and consoles;
    • Current category 5 ethernet cables; and
    • Current home consoles and handhelds?;
  3. Can the same list of equipment be upgraded via a firmware update or will new network cards and routers have to be used?
  4. EDIT: Will there be a noticeable network performance boost for the consoles if/when they use IPv6?
Thanks

P.S.: In case you don't know what IPv6 is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

If you had to follow the link to know what it is, then I guess you won't be able to answer my question. :)

Around the Network

1. As soon as most people use Vista, Linux or Mac OS X >10.3, according to your article. I'm estimating two years from now until Linux domination Linux pwnage widespread Vista adoption? So, two years.

2. Not sure. Isn't IPv6 implemented at the OS level rather than hardware?

3. Absolutely. It's not going to be a physical, hardware problem.

4. No, IPv6 is just address space extension. There may even be a slowdown from using longer addresses.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

IPv6 will take a while to be come mainstream. First off novice users will be seriously confused by the way addresses look. I work in IT and I still have a issue when using IPv6.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Game_boy said:

1. As soon as most people use Vista, Linux or Mac OS X >10.3, according to your article. I'm estimating two years from now until Linux domination Linux pwnage widespread Vista adoption? So, two years.

2. Not sure. Isn't IPv6 implemented at the OS level rather than hardware?

3. Absolutely. It's not going to be a physical, hardware problem.

4. No, IPv6 is just address space extension. There may even be a slowdown from using longer addresses.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding 4, I believe you are correct for 32-bit processors, but for 64-bit processors and,even more so, 128-bit processors there should be either a performance boost or no effect since an IPv6 address is 128-bits long. I believe the Cell is a 128-bit processor(correct me if I am wrong).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#128-bit_length 

XGamer0611 said:
IPv6 will take a while to be come mainstream. First off novice users will be seriously confused by the way addresses look. I work in IT and I still have a issue when using IPv6.

So Game_boy is right about the hardware not needing to be changed? Just firmware updates are necessary?