By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda BotW reactions from EB Expo 2016 in Sydney

Around the Network

"It made RPGs what it is today" - Some Retard

ktay95 said:
"It made RPGs what it is today" - Some Retard

Everytime someone says Zelda games are RPGs, I die a little.

Well the funny thing is, it did influence RPGs quite a bit, even though it is not an RPG. I mean, the Souls series is very derivative of it at its core, just hardcored up a notch or twelve with more RPG elements in.

But no, Zelda is not an RPG.

Also, that one chick at 0:47, 51, and 1:33 has a really good Zelda costume. Kinda trippy seeing her playing Zelda xD

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Well the funny thing is, it did influence RPGs quite a bit, even though it is not an RPG. I mean, the Souls series is very derivative of it at its core, just hardcored up a notch or twelve with more RPG elements in.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Nuvendil said:

How did it influence RPGs quite a bit? The only example you gave is an action game with RPG elements derived from actual RPGs.

Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:

How did it influence RPGs quite a bit? The only example you gave is an action game with RPG elements derived from actual RPGs.

Well that right there will effect your evaluation, what you call an RPG.  I do consider souls an RPG more than an Action game due to it's emphasis on player-guided and pseudo-class based progression. 

I would say that it had considerable impact on guiding where RPGs went, though perhaps not inspiring the features specifically.  I would say the popularity - though not the existence -  of action combat in popular RPGs - most notably, of course, The Elder Scrolls - would be tied to the influence the success of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess had on gamers' taste.  Also, of course, the emphasis on exploration in Zelda from the start has no doubt helped build up the consumers who now seek that in more substantial games, like RPGs.  Many people who played Zelda 1 and Zelda 3 and of coures OoT and MM are now older gamers who moved to other systems or at least bought them alongside Nintendo hardware and would be drawn to a more RPG-element heavy game that reminded them of Zelda in terms of its real time combat and exploration focus, not an RPG with turn based or real time battle systems.  And of course, there comes the fact that many developers of RPGs do outright state the first Zelda and the third Zelda as inspirations when constructing their large explorable worlds. 

So yes, Souls is the most obvious and most easily recognized Zelda-inspired RPG, but I would say it is a reasonable conclusion to come to that Zelda has influenced the flow of the RPG market fairly well.  And in a variety of ways at a variety of points, Zelda is very old.

Nuvendil said:

The Souls twitter account did acknowledge how much Zelda and Nintendo set a high standard. Even Miyazaki said he feels the series is unworthy of being compared to Zelda because 1) they're different in general despite similarities and 2) Zelda was monumental and continues to provide consistently great games for 30+ years. In many ways, a variety of games from various genres have found influence from older series or games that created new standards.

I wonder why Nintendo hasn't taken down the vid since it uses their footage...... oooooooooh, it's an ad.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.