By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2016 NPD Thread! XBO #1; PS4 Slim flops

barneystinson69 said:
Lawlight said:
47k is nothing. And that's a 5 week month.

Its quite a bit. People here where expecting a 10-15k gap. It was a much larger win than expected.

Think of it this way - how long will it take for this gap to be oblitrated in Japan?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
barneystinson69 said:

Its quite a bit. People here where expecting a 10-15k gap. It was a much larger win than expected.

Think of it this way - how long will it take for this gap to be oblitrated in Japan?

Why would I? This is the US we're talking about, not Japan.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

The Ps4 outsold the Xbox One in the US by 1.75m, 14% or 1.15:1

Since the release of Xbox One S, the Xbox One outsold the Ps4 in the US by 163k, 36.5% or 1.35:1

this gap will increase next month.
Holiday sales will mix the cards again

Lawlight said:
barneystinson69 said:

He'll say it's just NPD, though for some reason, NPD seems to get counted as more significant than worldwide (I'm not saying you do this, Barney, or even the people on this board, it's just that across a number of gaming forums, the only regions that "count" are the US and UK)

Ariakon said:

He'll say it's just NPD, though for some reason,

Because it's a NPD thread...

Around the Network
Ariakon said:
Pionner said:
47K is a big gap? 115K in August was a big difference. This is average.

Technically, no, it isn't a large gap, but all the data we had (anecdotal though most of it is) had most of us thinking it would only be by 15 or 20k or so, I bet. It all looked like the top console would pull ahead by a razor-thin margin.

I admit i was one who thought it would  be something like 15k. The actual results still doesn't surprise me and look anything like dominating.

SweetTalia said:
Pionner said:
47K is a big gap? 115K in August was a big difference. This is average.

lol less than 20k is not big .. anything above that to me is imo.. yet alone 40k+

To me over 100K is large and can quickly close the gap and grow your installed base. You aren't changing market share selling 50K sporadically.  

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:
Ariakon said:

Technically, no, it isn't a large gap, but all the data we had (anecdotal though most of it is) had most of us thinking it would only be by 15 or 20k or so, I bet. It all looked like the top console would pull ahead by a razor-thin margin.

I admit i was one who thought it would  be something like 15k. The actual results still doesn't surprise me and look anything like dominating.

SweetTalia said:

lol less than 20k is not big .. anything above that to me is imo.. yet alone 40k+

To me over 100K is large and can quickly close the gap and grow your installed base. You aren't changing market share selling 50K sporadically.  

100k in November and December is a very small gap, but a huge one in the Summer. You need to look at percentages:

The Ps4 outsold the Xbox One in the US by 1.75m, 14% or 1.15:1
Since the release of Xbox One S, the Xbox One outsold the Ps4 in the US by 163k, 36.5% or 1.35:1

But these are just launch sale, so don't read to much into it. anything can change this holiday season

wedemboyz said:

The PS4's price cut was only in effect for a little over 3 weeks in those two months, so this doesn't really tell us much. The real unknown is the Pro, if Amazon is to be trusted, that thing is siphoning away sales of the ps4s available now by quite a lot. I think Sony may have announced it too early, as it just looks more appealing than the standard ps4. It's like showing off the new ipad and expecting people to stay interested in the old.

Ariakon said:
wedemboyz said:

The PS4's price cut was only in effect for a little over 3 weeks in those two months, so this doesn't really tell us much. The real unknown is the Pro, if Amazon is to be trusted, that thing is siphoning away sales of the ps4s available now by quite a lot. I think Sony may have announced it too early, as it just looks more appealing than the standard ps4. It's like showing off the new ipad and expecting people to stay interested in the old.

yes

i will do the same new trend measure again for ps4 pro + ps4 slim vs xbox one s
and later next year scorpio + xbox one s vs ps4 pro + ps4 slim

Wright said:
Ariakon said:

He'll say it's just NPD, though for some reason,

Because it's a NPD thread...

Did you read the rest of my post?