By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Direct Feed Games: NX Is 3-4x The Wii U, Nvidia Pascal Tegra GPU

Don't worry, it will be able to handle any games you want to play.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Akeos look here:

320 SP theory:
"The issue with that Latte linked spec that you and OryoN discussed is that it has a serious flow in its numbers WRT the VLIW5 rumors: by the quoted numbers, Latte cannot be a VLIW5."

"Five CUs (compute units, AKA SIMD units) and 320 SPs (shader processors, AKA processing elements) means each CU should host 64 PEs. 64 is not a multiple of 5, and VLIW5 works with quintets of PEs. Not to mention the consensus is that there are 8 CUs on the die shot, and that's one of the few things there's a consensus about"

qoute - Blu Neogaf.

The problem is Neogaf has members that are devs, or nintendo people.
They know its VLIW5, a member (BG) that knows said it was so.
But that doesnt fit with the 320 number.
So it cant have those 320 cores (that is my understanding of reading this, maybe its wrong?)

the 352 gflop number you quote comes from:
320 stream proccessors (cores) x 2 x 550mhz = 352,000 flops (352 gflops).

But we "know" thanks to BG from neogaf that it uses VLIW5.
Which means that 320 stream proccessors isnt TRUE! (read blu's comment at the top)
So all those sites saying its 352 gflop are wrong.

I have looked through the last few pages on a 238+ page long thread on neogaf looking for some way to prove this. Theres probably some better than what I found but... yeah that ll take some time to look through.

If you feel up to it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628&page=238

Buttom line:

Eggs heads on Neogaf all agree its actually 160 stream proccessors (not 320), and that it thus only has 176 Gflops.

I believe them.

edit:

extra:

Supposedly the red ones are the ALUs (20 steam processors each) and the blue's the TMU.

It matchs up (from what I understand). 

20/5 = 4.

8 ALUs of 20 steam proccessors = 160

160 "cores" running 550mhz =  160 x 2 x 550 = 176,000 (176 Gflops)

Xbox 360 have 10 MB EDRAM (2005)

Wiiu have 36 MB EDRAM (2012)

Et you really think x360 > 240 GFLOPS and wiiu > 170 GFLOPS ? 

Take a moment,  and think about watts you say... Look to xenoblade... Everyone say 352 GFLOPS... Games look 352 gflop... 

Akeos said:
JRPGfan said:

It matchs up (from what I understand). 

20/5 = 4.

8 ALUs of 20 steam proccessors = 160

160 "cores" running 550mhz =  160 x 2 x 550 = 176,000 (176 Gflops)

Xbox 360 have 10 MB EDRAM (2005)

Wiiu have 36 MB EDRAM (2012)

Et you really think x360 > 240 GFLOPS and wiiu > 170 GFLOPS ? 

Take a moment,  and think about watts you say... Look to xenoblade... Everyone say 352 GFLOPS... Games look 352 gflop... 

So your saying why give a weaker console graphics, more cashe? and memory bandwidth?

I can understand that. But my reply is just maybe nintendo puts weight on differnt design philosophies than MS.

They make these machines based on what they need. Maybe some hardware engineer told them to give it alot of edram, because they would need it for a new mario game?

Also All flops arnt equal. Just like with the mhz of a cpu, a intel cpu at the same mhz is usually faster than the amd one.

It varies from architecture to architecture.

Everyone says 352 Gflops....... except the people that know that it is not that.

I explained to you why it cannot be 352.

320 cores doesnt work with VLIW5.

It just means alot of people are wrong.

And lastly..... theres more to being strong at graphics than just how many Flops of compute power a graphics card has.

teigaga said:

This is why a $99 Gamecube with all of its Nintendo exclusives sold 22m next to the PS2's 150m, most people were happily content with their Playstation despite all the exclusives Nintendo had to offer (playstation has its own of course).

The $99 Gamecube comes up all the time, but the DVD capable PS2 wasn't that much more in price.

A lot of people remember the initial price cuts but forget all the PS2 price cuts that followed.

After the $99 price cut on the Gamecube the PS2 was on average only ~$51 more expensive.

The PS2 was also on average only ~$54 more expensive than the Gamecube throughout the Gamecube's lifespan. 

The Gamecube ended up selling 11.29 Million units at the $99 price.

edit -The PS2 ended up selling 82.49 Million units at the $149 price or less50.10 Million units at the $129 price or less, and 17.80 Million units at the $99 price or less.

Date

Gamecube Price

PS2 price

~Price difference

November 2001

$199 (launch price)

$299

~6 months $100

May 2002

$149 (-$50)

$199 (-$100)

~12 months $50

May 2003

$149

$179 (-$20)

~4 months $30

September 2003

$99 (-$50)

$179

~8 months $80

May 2004

$99

$149 (-$30)

~23 months $50

April 2006

$99

$129 (-$20)

~10 months $30

Feb 2007

$99 discontinued

$129                     

-

April 2009

-

$99 (-$30)

-

Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

neither it cost 299,00

So? 

The assumption that to be portable is to be expensive isn't 1:1

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
foxtail said:
teigaga said:

This is why a $99 Gamecube with all of its Nintendo exclusives sold 22m next to the PS2's 150m, most people were happily content with their Playstation despite all the exclusives Nintendo had to offer (playstation has its own of course).

The $99 Gamecube comes up all the time, but the DVD capable PS2 wasn't that much more in price.

A lot of people remember the initial price cuts but forget all the PS2 price cuts that followed.

After the $99 price cut on the Gamecube the PS2 was on average only ~$51 more expensive.

The PS2 was also on average only ~$54 more expensive than the Gamecube throughout the Gamecube's lifespan. 

The PS2 ended up selling 35.30 Million units at the $99 price.

Date

Gamecube Price

PS2 price

~Price difference

November 2001

$199 (launch price)

$299

~6 months $100

May 2002

$149 (-$50)

$199 (-$100)

~12 months $50

May 2003

$149

$179 (-$20)

~4 months $30

September 2003

$99 (-$50)

$179

~8 months $80

May 2004

$99

$149 (-$30)

~23 months $50

April 2006

$99

$129 (-$20)

~10 months $30

Feb 2007

$99 discontinued

$129                     

-

April 2009

-

$99 (-$30)

-

This is interesting but doesn't change the point. Why didn't people buy both systems since the Gamecube was so cheap? The truth is once people have one gaming system they're quite content with that for the rest of the generation. Even if an NX undercuts the PS4 in price, it'll likely be a similar position to the gamecube but even worse considering PS2 only had 1 year advantage instead of 3.

teigaga said:

This is interesting but doesn't change the point. Why didn't people buy both systems since the Gamecube was so cheap? The truth is once people have one gaming system they're quite content with that for the rest of the generation. Even if an NX undercuts the PS4 in price, it'll likely be a similar position to the gamecube but even worse considering PS2 only had 1 year advantage instead of 3.

The PS2 sold ~81.89 Million units after it had a price cut to $149 (more than half it's sales), so it was cheap in its own right.  It also had a lot of games and capabilities to satisfy most.  That generation likely had the least multi-console owners just by looking at the dominance of the PS2, but when both the Wii and PS3/X360 succeeded multi-console ownership probably increased a lot too.

The introduction of intermittent consoles like PS4 pro and looming Scorpio is likely shake up the traditional console cycle anyways and might influence a change in buying patterns.  If the NX can somehow entice people with something compelling when people are looking at new hardware then they might have a chance.

teigaga said:
foxtail said:

The PS2 ended up selling 35.30 Million units at the $99 price.

Date

Gamecube Price

PS2 price

~Price difference

November 2001

$199 (launch price)

$299

~6 months $100

May 2002

$149 (-$50)

$199 (-$100)

~12 months $50

May 2003

$149

$179 (-$20)

~4 months $30

September 2003

$99 (-$50)

$179

~8 months $80

May 2004

$99

$149 (-$30)

~23 months $50

April 2006

$99

$129 (-$20)

~10 months $30

Feb 2007

$99 discontinued

$129                     

-

April 2009

-

$99 (-$30)

-

It doesn't sound very convincing to me. People are always willing to buy new products as long as they find them attractive. If poeple was satisfied with what they have we wouldn't have consumerism to begin with.

I can think of at least three good reasons why it didn't sell very much, even as 2nd console.

One reason is that people simply didn't knew it. The console was barely advertised and at the time you couldn't get nearly as much information and footage online as today.

Another reason is of course terrible marketing, or more precisely terrible marketing positioning. In the eyes of consumers the Gamecube wasn't seen as a suitable 2nd console, because Nintendo didn't market it as such. The image of the Gamecube was quite incoherent: it was indeed a more powerfull machine than the PS2, it had adult-themed and horror games, just the kind of games you expect to see on PS, but on the other hand it was less expansive and it looked like a toy. So uninformed people just saw it as a cheaper, lesser (or kiddy) verion of a Ps2.

Third reason, Nintendo just didn't have the proper hit-game to appeal to a largely wider market. Mario and Mario Kart were quite uninspired (though not everyone would agree), Zelda took that cel-shading approach that alienated some of its fans, Metroid was great but not a really mass appealing game. The only true hit they had was smash bros.

foxtail said:
teigaga said:

The PS2 sold ~81.89 Million units after it had a price cut to $149 (about half it's sales), so it was cheap in its own right.  It also had a lot of games and capabilities to satisfy most.  That generation likely had the least multi-console owners just by looking at the dominance of the PS2, but when both the Wii and PS3/X360 all succeeded multi-console ownership probably increased a lot too.

The introduction of intermittent consoles like PS4 pro and looming Scorpio is likely shake up the traditional console cycle anyways and might influence a change in buying patterns.  If the NX can somehow entice people with something compelling when people are looking at new hardware then they might have a chance.

I understand the PS2 wasn't that expensive, but that doesn't explain why people didn't also buy a Gamecube which was $99. We can't pretend PS4 hasn't already sold 40m and counting. Before the NX even hits stores around 80m PS4/XboxOnes will be sold to consumers and neither system has even hit $249 yet. They will have hundreds of games out versus the NX's 20-30, peoples friends will already own them. We'd have to be delusional to imagine Nintendo bringing an instant stop to momentum created over the last 3 years. So the assumption must be that many gamers will pick up an NX alongside their existing consoles, which is why I ask why people didn't buy gamecube as a secondary console.

Similar to the PS2, PS4 has "a lot of games and capabilities to satisfy most", so I'm struggling to how such a scenario would be different?

Regarding last gen, PS3/Xbox 360's audience could really be seen as a split of the PS2's audience, its not like they both sold 150m each. There isn't evidence of a lot of multi console ownership where the HD consoles are conerned athough there is to some degree. Overall logic points towards Wii being the primary culprit of multi console ownership last gen, it had a very distinct USP/Gimmick which made it appealing as a secondary console, or even your primary system if you weren't a traditional gamer. The point several of us has made is that undercutting the PS4's price with a slightly more powerful console is not much of a USP, its pretty much what the gamecube done.

The introduction of the 4TFLOP Neo (launching 5months and a holiday before the NX) and the 6Tflop Scorpio only makes it more diffcult for 2.5Tflop, $199 NX to find releveance. Me and several others are simply reaffirming Nintendo's need to differentiate themselves when entering 3+ after their "competition".

freebs2 said:
teigaga said:

It doesn't sound very convincing to me. People are always willing to buy new products as long as they find them attractive. If poeple was satisfied with what they have we wouldn't have consumerism to begin with.

I can think of at least three good reasons why it didn't sell very much, even as 2nd console.

One reason is that people simply didn't knew it. The console was barely advertised and at the time you couldn't get nearly as much information and footage online as today.

Another reason is of course terrible marketing, or more precisely terrible marketing positioning. In the eyes of consumers the Gamecube wasn't seen as a suitable 2nd console, because Nintendo didn't market it as such. The image of the Gamecube was quite incoherent: it was indeed a more powerfull machine than the PS2, it had adult-themed and horror games, just the kind of games you expect to see on PS, but on the other hand it was less expansive and it looked like a toy. So uninformed people just saw it as a cheaper, lesser (or kiddy) verion of a Ps2.

Third reason, Nintendo just didn't have the proper hit-game to appeal to a largely wider market. Mario and Mario Kart were quite uninspired (though not everyone would agree), Zelda took that cel-shading approach that alienated some of its fans, Metroid was great but not a really mass appealing game. The only true hit they had was smash bros.

Consumerism isn't limitless & gaming is a casual hobby for many people. Once you buy a bed douvet, other douvet's no matter how nice they look, are signifcantly less likely to be purchased by you(terribly analogy but it applies). Of course here on VGC, we adore games so its natural we would own multiple consoles.

Looking at each generation of consoles sales though, I don't see why we believe multiconsole ownership is the norm. To me theres clearly loose/win/draw scenarios depicted in console competeing for audeinces. The Wii and DS are the only anomolies and unsurprisingly both are/were adored by non-gamers.