By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pointless tasks that people still do...

I just wanted to make this thread to discuss things people still do but another method would have the same results.

Raking leaves... Who the fuck still rakes leaves?  Why not use a lawn mower?  Seems like a lawn mower would be a way easier method of removing leaves from your yard.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I just wanted to make this thread to discuss things people still do but another method would have the same results.

Raking leaves... Who the fuck still rakes leaves?  Why not use a lawn mower?  Seems like a lawn mower would be a way easier method of removing leaves from your yard.

Why would you even use a lawn mower? Just burn the lawn and hire someone to plant a new lawn. So much easier.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Why would you even use a lawn mower? Just burn the lawn and hire someone to plant a new lawn. So much easier.

I don't want to make the thread political but that sounds like a Trump answer to solving a problem.

spurgeonryan said:
You mean lawn mower withbag.

Drinking bottled water.

Bam! I think you just won the thread.  I am a bottle water hater.  Sure they can be of use in a disaster but that is about it.  Fuck bottle water!  Get a filter or drink from a fountain.

sethnintendo said:
vivster said:

I don't want to make the thread political but that sounds like a Trump answer to solving a problem.

So does yours. Every method has pros and cons. There are enough reasons against a lawnmower to use a rake instead of it. Neither method is inherently superior.

You just solved the "problem" by throwing money and power at it. Much like Trump actually.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
sethnintendo said:

So does yours. Every method has pros and cons. There are enough reasons against a lawnmower to use a rake instead of it. Neither method is inherently superior.

You just solved the "problem" by throwing money and power at it. Much like Trump actually.

Touche but that won't stop me from looking down at people that do rake.  More than likely they have a lawn mower and it would probably cost $1 of gas at most to go over their lawn with the mower.

sethnintendo said:
vivster said:

Touche but that won't stop me from looking down at people that do rake.  More than likely they have a lawn mower and it would probably cost $1 of gas at most to go over their lawn with the mower.

So? Maybe they enjoy raking? Maybe they like being in the garden feeling the fresh air without the disturbance of loud noises? Maybe their neighbors too?

Why would you even go to the trouble of mowing and even pay for it? Just buld a wall around the trees and make Mexico pay for it.

vivster said:

So? Maybe they enjoy raking? Maybe they like being in the garden feeling the fresh air without the disturbance of loud noises? Maybe their neighbors too?

Why would you even go to the trouble of mowing and even pay for it? Just buld a wall around the trees and make Mexico pay for it.

You might have opened my eyes a little.  Maybe they do love the back aching pain of raking...  But why put it in a plastic or paper bag for the trash pickup?  Why not compost it or throw it in the garden to decompose? 

sethnintendo said:
spurgeonryan said:
You mean lawn mower withbag.

Drinking bottled water.

Bam! I think you just won the thread.  I am a bottle water hater.  Sure they can be of use in a disaster but that is about it.  Fuck bottle water drinkers!  Get a filter or drink from a fountain

Well, until they install water fountains on every street corner...

sethnintendo said:

Oh God, you're tickling my ptsd.

My grandma has an old farmhouse with a big garden and she is OBSESSED with raking leaves. And not just on the lawn. Nooooooo. No, no, no, no, no, noooooooo.

Leaves have to be raked everywhere daily, from the pebble covered drive, over the vegetable patches and flower beds (wich the whole property is covered in), the large chicken and goose enclosures to the freaking patch of forest she has on her property. Yes, you read that right, she rakes leaves in her forest.

She even has a little festival once a year that revolves all around raking leaves. Usually towards the end of october she will invite friends, family and neighbours hand everyone a rake and a barrow let them comb through the garden and property to collect as many leaves as they can. Then we build a massive pile of leaves and burn it all. I like that last part because it's very helloweeny, but come on!