By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Paramount Gets Its Game On

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9758&Itemid=59

By Tom Ivan

Movie studio Paramount has expanded its digital entertainment unit and is readying to publish a number of games for the first time later this year. 

According to Variety, Paramount will partially or completely finance the games and play a role in overseeing development. Games will be based either on new Paramount movies or catalog titles and the studio is especially keen to invest in casual, handheld and mobile games due to the relatively low development costs.

"We are entering into deals now where we will be publishing games this year," said Sandi Isaacs, Paramount’s senior VP of interactive and mobile. "There's going to be a slate where in some cases we're publishing, in some cases we're co-publishing, or in others we're funding development and another publisher buys it. It's important for us to have a flexible model."

As VP of interactive development, Matt Candler will play a key role in Paramount’s videogame operations. He has previously held positions at Activision and developers Grind Games, Seven Studios and Six Studios.

Former Sega and Fox exec Luke Letizia will join Paramount as executive director of interactive licensing to oversee projects licensed to other videogame publishers.

Not counting Disney, Paramount is the second film studio behind Warner Bros. to directly enter the game publishing sector.

Around the Network

i blame wii fit

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp